Chapter 27

A loud murderous growl sounded on the other end, and no matter how hard Caden coughed to cover it up, I was still able to hear it. Another growl sounded after the other one, and I could tell that he was pissed.

I furrowed my brows and cocked my head before I looked this way and that. "You need to get your throat checked out, Sir," I said after he stopped growling. "I don't think our throats should be able to do that."

"What do you mean?" Henry asked. His voice was low and filled with the anger that I knew he possessed. His voice shook, and I couldn't help but feel confused and grateful that he cared about me enough to be mad at what his wife had done.

"She's human," Caden said, and I had a feeling that he rubbed his face with his hand. His voice was muffled, and there was a flicker of annoyance in his voice. "That's what I had been trying to warn you, Henry."

There was a pause on the other end of the line. "Human?" he asked, and I had a feeling that he raised an eyebrow. "You adopted a human?"

"No, but Kat did," Caden said. "And she is a good fit so far." He looked at me, and I looked down with my cheeks turning slightly red before I cocked my head and looked at him.

"What do you mean by that?" I asked, confused. "I thought you were you human, too."

Mandy bit back a snort and bit her lip. She didn't say a word while she played with my fingers, moving them this way and that. Her whole body was relaxed, and I was sure that she was happy her father accepted her like she thought he would.

"Nothing," Caden said after a moment's pause, and his heart skipped a beat to let me know that he was lying. He cleared his throat and leaned back in his seat, and I could feel his gaze on me while he studied me. "Don't worry about it."

I pursed my lips but didn't reply. Annoyance flickered across my gaze because I wanted him to tell the truth, but I couldn't have him tell the truth because I didn't want him to know that I knew about him and his pack.

Henry chuckled. "It sounds like you have your hands full anyway," he said, and Caden chuckled in response, and I had a feeling that he nodded in agreement.

I frowned and cocked my head. I tried to make sure that my face looked as if I was hurt, even though I wasn't, and I had a feeling what he meant by that. "What's that supposed to mean?" I asked.

Henry didn't reply and chuckled again before he cleared his throat. His whole mannerism changed, and I could tell that he grew serious while he cleared his throat again. "Is it ok if I go into your community and see my daughter?"

"Of course," Caden said. He paused. "Would tomorrow work for you, say around 3 pm? That way, Carley is out of school and will be able to meet you as well. It seems to me that she is protective of your daughter." There was a hint of teasing in his voice, and all I did was shrug my shoulder because I was protective of her. I was very protective of her.

Henry chuckled again. "Well, I would like to meet her, too. I will see you at three." He paused and cleared his throat while the sound of a pen against paper sounded. "How many girls were there, if I may ask?" he asked. "And will you need any help with them?"

"There were thirteen living there besides your daughter and Carley," Caden replied. "Six of them were not abused while the others were." His voice was hard, and there was a twinge of anger in it.

I squeezed Mandy's hand when she became tense and stayed silent. I was grateful that all girls were accounted for and knew that I needed to check on them soon, as soon as I was done helping Mandy. I needed to make sure that they were safe and well from their journey.

Caden cleared his throat, and he shifted in his seat. "I do not need help with boarding the girls. I can handle that on my own, but if you know of anyone searching for a child to adopt, then can you let me know? I am sure that Carley would like to meet them, however, considering they are her responsibility, even though they don't have to be." He gave me a pointed look, and I shrugged.

Henry chuckled, and I had a feeling that he nodded. "I'll keep an ear out and report it back to you," he said. He cleared his throat and grew serious. "Nugget, I love you. I will see you tomorrow, ok?"

"Yes, Sir," Many said, and her voice cracked. She cleared her throat and moved closer to me. Her heart pounded slightly, and I could tell that she was nervous about meeting her father face to face. "I will see you tomorrow, Dad," she said.

"Carley," Henry said.

"Sir?" I asked.

"Thank you for watching after them and protecting them from her." There was a small smile in his voice, and a small smile appeared on my lips when he thanked me. "I am sure that it wasn't that easy to do."

I shrugged. "It wasn't that difficult, Sir," I replied. "I just had to do stuff in my own way and rely on others with vision to help see what I can't see."

Henry chuckled, and I had a feeling that he nodded. "Of course," he said. He cleared his throat and grew serious. "I will meet you tomorrow," he said.

"I'll meet you tomorrow."

"Nugget?"

"Sir?"

"Keep an eye out on our girl before I get there. Huh? We don't need her to get into any more trouble with the community she lives in," he teased, earning a chuckle from his daughter.

I rolled my eyes and scowled, but I didn't say a word. A small smile flickered onto my lips while I leaned back in my seat and relaxed. "Very funny," I said dryly, and they both chuckled.

"Yes, Sir," Mandy said.

"Good." He cleared his throat again. "Caden."

"Henry," Caden said.

"Thank you."

"My pleasure."

And with that, Henry hung up the phone, and Mandy turned toward me before she hugged me.

I hugged her tight and felt the tears on my shoulder while she cried. My heart ached for her, but I knew that this would be the last time that she cried like this, her heart yearning for her family, her pack because in the span of a day, she would be in their arms and live there for the rest of her days.

Or so I hope.