Chapter 9

"Hello, Family," someone said, walking into the kitchen from the outside. There was another person after him before the door closed. "Is there any food left, or did the twins eat it all?" There was a teasing tone in his voice, and I could tell that it was Max and maybe Samuel.

"Hey," Vallum and Valen said in unison.

"Carley is the one that had been eating all of the food," Valen said.

"She seems to want to scarf it down but doesn't," Vallum added.

I placed my fork and knife down, my face heating up in what people had said was a blush. "Sorry," I said, taking the napkin from my lap and wiping my face. "It's just... really good." It's better than what I have received at the orphanage, I added bitterly.

"Don't be sorry," Katherine said, and I could tell that she was smiling at me. There was a small bit of stiffness in it, and I could tell that she was thinking the same thing that I had been thinking. "Both Samuel and Max eat a lot. There is stuff for you two in the oven. Eat up, and leave Carley alone. Goddess knows when it was the last time that she had received a hot meal at that damn place."

I nodded my head and started to eat my food again. I had no idea how much I had left, but I didn't care. It was so good, and I could feel myself getting full for the first time in a long time.

I ignored the gaze of the two men my age because I didn't really care what they thought about my eating habits or manners. However, I was super aware of one of them.

My whole body was tense as I tried to ignore his heated gaze. I had no idea why I was super aware of his gaze, but I didn't like it. I didn't like how he criticized me, coming up with different things that I was sure was not true.

Vallum tried to steal some of my food, and I smacked his hand and turned in his direction. "Ow," he said, rubbing his hand. "Mo-om, Carley hit me," he said, and his brother snickered.

"Did you try to take her food?" Katherine asked. There was some amusement in her voice, and I was sure that she was happy that Vallum and Valen were treating me like family. "And, do not lie to me, Vallum Michael," she warned, and I could tell that she narrowed her eyes at him.

"Maybe I did, maybe I didn't," Vallum said. "But, you have told us not to hit, so you have to tell Carley not to hit."

"It is against your rules," Valen said.

"Don't listen to them," Max said, sitting down in the empty chair in front of me. "They do it all the time. Isn't that right, Sam?" he asked.

"Ya, they like to hit," Sam said. "You have to either ignore it or just hit them back. They don't learn either way."

"Good to know," I replied, scowling at Vallum. "I am warning you now, Vallum, I can hit really hard. Do not try to push me. Understood?"

"Uh huh."