Chapter 17

I walked into the library, following Max as we made it to the front lady. I had this... strange feeling that I knew the person in here with us, but I knew better than to get my hopes up. I have been feeling this presence for years, but the person never showed up.

"Hey, Mrs. G- you aren't Mrs. Grey, who are you?" Max asked, feeling protective of me. He moved slightly in front of me, causing me to roll my eyes and scowl.

"I am Fatima Harvey," the lady said, sounding too cheerful. "Your names are..?" I could tell that she raised an eyebrow at us.

"Ca-"

"It's cut it out, and what are you doing here?" I asked, interrupting him from speaking. "I thought they wanted you to keep an eye on me but from a distance."

"I have no idea what you are talking about," Fate said. "I am merely a new librarian."

"Merely my ass," I replied. "Can you drop the act, please, and tell me why you are here?"

"There is n-"

"He knows, Fate," I said, interrupting her. I felt the look that she normally did when I interrupted her. "Don't give me that look. I still can't see it. It does not affect me. And, I am still going to interrupt you."

"Why didn't you just say that he knows?" Fate asked. She walked over to me and pulled me into a hug, feeling as motherly as she always had. "Aw, my sweet girl, look at you. So beautiful."

"Wait... what?"

"Max, this is Fate," I said, closing my eyes and seeking the comfort that she provided me. My heart yearned for the two men that I called family, and I wished that they would appear soon, but for some reason, I knew that was just wishful thinking. "Fate, this is Max. He is the Beta of the pack and my... "brother.""

"It's nice to meet you, Max," Fate said, letting go of me. She squeezed my hand reassuringly, probably catching my frown. "Taking care of her?"

"Yes, Ma'am," he said. "Are you really a Witch?" he blurted out, causing me to snort. He cleared his throat and shifted his feet, feeling uncomfortable.

"What are you doing here?" I asked, trying to change the subject. "You never told me."

"Well, to keep an eye on you, of course," Fate said. She let go of my hand and walked to wherever. "And, to provide you with a different shoe opportunity."

I groaned frowning. I really hated shoes, and here was Fate trying to offer me a different pair.

"Hey, don't act like that," Fate said. "You don't know what I made for you." She started to move somewhere else and something on the table with a loud thud. "Let's see now... where did I put them?"

"Be prepared to duck if need be," I muttered to Max when he moved to my side. "She has a tendency to throw whatever she isn't looking for out of her bag."

"I do not," Fate complained as she looked through her bag.

Max pulled me down as something flew across our heads. "Seriously?" he asked, sounding rather annoyed.

"Ok, maybe I do throw stuff, but I don't mean to. Ah, here we are." She snapped her fingers, and something else flew by our head, going towards the direction of her snap.

"Fate," Max said, sounding rather annoyed. "You almost hit us."

"Well, don't be in the way," Fate replied. She walked over to me and grabbed my hand. "Come, come, let's try these on. I think they should, well, I know that they should fit, but I don't know if they look good on you." She led me over to a chair and gently pushed me back. "Sit, sit so that we can see."

I rolled my eyes. "How am I going to tell them that I have different shoes than the ones that they had gotten me?" I asked as she started to take off both my shoes and socks.

"Well, just tell them that you had complained to the librarian about the shoes, and she had found something for you," she replied. "Because you did complain."

"Ya, to Max, not to you," I replied as she placed the shoes on my feet. "Well?" I asked. "How do they look?"

"Good," Fate said, nodding her head. "Here," she said, holding out her hand. "Stand up and walk around. I want to see them in action."

"Gee," I said, grabbing her hand. I stood and looked around, feeling a little shorter than I had with those tennis shoes on. "Now, what?" I asked, furrowing my eyes.

"Walk around," Fate said. "Don't just stand there looking pretty."

I held back and eye roll and started to walk around. I furrowed my brows in confusion because I could sense everything again and knew where to stop and turn to go another way. "How?" I asked, turning my head to look at the female.

"Well, I am a witch," she replied giddily. "Walk over to your new brother. He's standing by the doors."

"I still don't know where the doors are," I said, scowling at her. "Say something."

"Something," Max replied, causing me to turn in that direction. "Are you going to get our books ready, Fate?" he asked. "I don't want to be late to class on my first day."

"I will," Fate said, watching as I walked towards him. "You can click your heels three times and make it look like it has laces and covered. Other than that, they are just slip on." She walked away and started to make some noise as she went to find our books.

"Thanks," I said. I felt my "brother's" presence in front of me and looked up at him. "Found you."

Max chuckled. "Yes, you did," he said. "Now, go get your staff and bag. I think we're going to be leaving soon. Are you staying here?"

"Yes, yes," Fate said. "I am the new librarian. The other one went on... a year-long vacation around the world. She'll be back by the end of the year."

I turned towards her voice and started to walk towards her. I was glad that she would be staying around, but I was a little worried, a little anxious. I had no idea what that meant, and I prayed nothing bad would happen.

If it did, then I had no idea what would happen to us or to the people that I left behind.