Chapter Twenty-One: Excuse Me?

While Jade returned to the hospital room for a variety of tests, you and the rest of the boys remained seated, dumb-founded at the bomb that had just been dropped upon the pack. Namjoon returned with them, still attempting to help Jade walk back into the room, but she still flinched away from him.

Yoongi and Dinah were in the corner, busy catching up. Jimin and Hoseok were finally getting the sleep that they deserved, and Jungkook was wandering around the hospital, searching the halls for coffee.

You and Taehyung, however, sat staring blankly at the floor. His arms had snuck around you at one point, and you were thankful for the physical comfort and skinship, leaning on him and trying to figure out what to say.

Jade didn't remember anything, you thought in disbelief. Of all the situations you had all imagined, this hadn't even been in the top ten most worried about. In fact, none of you had even really considered amnesia to be an option. Jesus. 

________________________________________________________________________________

"Well," the doctor began, "the good news is that nothing, other than your amnesia, seems to wrong. You kept the baby, and all of your internal organs seem to be working at a normal pace. As for the amnesia, normally memories will return on their own, but there is a chance that you may never remember everything that you forgot."

"Is there anything we can do to help the memories return?" Namjoon questioned, knuckles white against the chair that he was squeezing the living daylights out of.

"Well, Mr. Kim, sometimes returning to places, smells, and sounds can help the rehabilitation process, but it does vary on a case by case basis."

"Excuse me? Sorry to interrupt, but I thought I heard you say something about a baby?" Jade questioned in English.

"Ms. Prince, I continue to forget how much you've forgotten. You're pregnant. About a month and a half along, actually."

"WHAT?"

"Keep calm, please. Everything will be explained to you by your fiancé  in a moment. Just let me give you your ultrasounds, and then I'll be off. Mr. Kim, she should remain here for another night, for observation purposes."

"Fiancé?"

The doctor, wisely, left the hospital room as fast as his feet could take him.

"What the hell happened in the last two years?"

________________________________________________________________________________

"Hey, Tae?"

"Yeah?"

"What's going to happen to us in the next few years?"

"What do you mean, (y/n)?"

"Like, how fast is our relationship going to move? And what happens if something like this happens again?"

"(Y/n). Breathe. This relationship will go as fast or as slow as you want it to. And if this happens again, if this happens to you, well, I'll probably fall apart." Taehyung shrugged, but kept his arms around you and his face buried into your neck.

"Tae?"

"Mmmhmm?"

"Would you, would we... If we hadn't met the way we did, do you think it would have changed this? Would everyone be okay?"

"(Y/n), please tell me you're not blaming yourself for this. No one could have seen this coming and changed anything. And if we hadn't met, I wouldn't be able to hold you like this, now would I?"

Jane cleared her throat from where she stood in the entryway of the lounge.

"There is, technically, someone you can blame; someone that you should blame," she sighed, "Me."

Jin tried to stand and join her in the entryway, but as much as she wanted to embrace him, she didn't. She shook her head and stood alone in the doorway, unwilling to hide behind Jin anymore.

"I've... I've been watching your pack for weeks. It was my job. I was supposed to look for a weak point in your pack, and pounce. And, I'm really, really sorry, because I'm really good at my job. I told them to go for Jade, and they did. And I couldn't be sorrier."

"How did you know where we were?" Dinah asked, voice filled with venom.

"You left a phone number and an address on the counter. I took the bus. I figured that if you were all going to hate me, you at least deserved to know what you were hating me for." 

________________________________________________________________________________

"So, let me get this straight. We met two years ago, you and the rest of the boys are werewolves, and we're engaged. And I'm pregnant, apparently."

"That's, well, that's the simplest version, yes."

"That's got to be the weirdest thing I've ever heard."

Namjoon smiled softly, she was starting to sound more like the old Jade. "It's definitely in the top ten weirdest things we've ever dealt with, but you are missing two years-worth of memories, so I don't know which part is stranger."

"Okay," she said.

"Okay?"

"Okay. Here are the facts. All I know is that sometime in the last few years, something happened to get me here now. And I know somewhere deep inside the locked parts of my brain that I'm nineteen, and probably absolutely fully capable, but as far as I can remember and as far as I'm aware, I'm seventeen and scared shitless. And I'm sorry that the girl you fell in love with is gone, but now you're stuck with me, so please don't expect too much of me."

"Jade..."

"I'm not her, okay? I will never be her. So please, don't expect to fill her shoes. Because I won't be able to."

"Jade, I don't want you to fill her shoes. I'm happy that you're alive, and awake, and don't have any lasting damage. Even if you don't love me anymore, I don't care, because I'd rather you be alive and hate me, than dead still loving me. I just want you to be happy."