Chapter 3 - Treehouse

We were watching a movie in History when..

"Psst," Hissed Danielle. "Robyn."

I turned in my desk and looked behind me. Danielle held out a folded note which was ripped out from her binder paper. I grabbed the note between two fingertips and turned back in my seat.

I unfolded the note and skimmed through Danielle's sloppy handwriting:

Soooo. you and Jason huh? ;) ;) ;)

I turned back around to Danielle and made a face at her. She simply winked and smiled. I turned back around and pulled out a pen to write back on the note.

I wrote Brain malfunction much? and passed the note back to Danielle.

Danielle took a note and after a few seconds, I felt her feet kick my ankle.

"Ow!" I whisper loudly and sharply turn around to Danielle with a glare in my eyes. Her eyes wander as if trying to look innocent. Then they looked back to me and she smiled.

I rolled my eyes and faced the video on the projector screen once again. By the time I did the bell had already rung and everyone stood up to go to 7th period.

7th Period - Physical Education, Mr. Bresko

I walked into the locker room and asked one of the lady PE teachers for a locker. After I was given one, I scanned for it and finally changed.

Many other girls changed around me and were talking about each other's bodies (legs, bums, boobs, etc). It was a little overwhelming so I rushed into my PE shirt and tucked it into my red mid-thigh shorts.

By the time I finished, Danielle ran over to me already dressed and looked me up and down. She scowled and pointed at my calf.

"That's a nasty scar," she said.

I looked down at my legs and stared at the faded scar that reached from my ankle to the mid part of my calf. Every time I stared at it I shivered so I immediately looked away.

"It's from years ago," I said.

"What happened?" Danielle asked.

My heart accelerated from the memory of it but I tried to act natural. "Just from an old accident." It wasn't a lie.

"It doesn't look like it was just an accident. What made it?"

I forced out a smile. "Really, Danielle. It's fine."

Danielle looked at me for a second then sighed. "Okay. Well, you look nice."

I returned the compliment and we both walked out to the gym as if the conversation never happened.

Everyone was given a role call seat in vertical rows on the floor, alphabetically. I sat near the front behind a kid named John Bates. Danielle, being her last name was Millington, sat in a different row beside me.

We did a couple warm ups such as jumping jacks, crunchers, and push ups. Afterwards Mr. Bresko told us to pick partners for Badminton.

Danielle looked to me and raised an eyebrow at me as a way of asking me to be her partner. I nodded and when Mr. Bresko told us to find our partners, we rushed to each other.

"I better warn you," I say to Danielle, "I'm not very pro at badminton."

Danielle shrugged. "It's really just a practice game anyway."

We were both assigned to court 4 and were given rackets and a birdie to start a game. Danielle served first and we rallied for 5 hits. We continued practicing and in the end, we managed to rally for over 20 hits.