Chapter 14 - I'm Fine

Robbie's injuries have gotten worse. Due to his decision to not cover up his open wounds, they've been exposed to bacteria and started stinging him from the inside.

As morning rose, my eyes lifted before Robbie's, and I am ever so grateful. His position still hasn't changed. I was still trapped beneath his arm, and I wasn't quite sure how to free myself without waking him up. I could not have him know that I was sleeping next to him out of sympathy.

Yet, I took the risk. I wriggled my way to the side, trying to pull myself farther away from Robbie as possible. As I did, his hand slid from my back, across my waist, and flatly fell to the floor. His snores were still visible to my ear so I sighed in relief and stood up from the floor.

I set aside the curtains on my window and peeked out. The sky was faintly lighted, meaning that the sun was about to rise and that I should prepare for school.

Just as I was about walk over to my dresser and grab a few clothes, Robbie's body flinched and he started screaming. I quickly kneeled next to him and slid my hand over his mouth to muffle his screams.

I started shushing him but his body continued to jerk and his eyes wrinkled from being shut too tight.

"Robbie, hold on," I said, panicked. I didn't know what to do or how to handle the situation.

It felt like an eternity until Robbie finally stopped spazzing, but his eyes were still shut tight. I uncovered his mouth and started rubbing his shoulder.

"Are you okay?"I asked quietly.

He didn't answer. His eyes slowly opened, but not to me. He reached his hand over to the wound on his stomach and poked it with his middle finger. Just as he did, he flinched back and hissed, inhaling sharply through his clenched teeth.

I understood. "I'll go get some bandaid to wrap around it," I said quickly.

I rushed to the bathroom and grabbed a roll of wrapping bandaid before running back to Robbie. His eyes refused to look at me, and I decided to not take it personally. He was probably just frustrated.

I spent less time than I did last time to wrap the bandaid around his arm and stomach. I wisely chose not to the wrap it as tightly so Robbie won't have trouble breathing.

Once I finished, Robbie's body appeased.

But he still refused to look at me.

I checked the time and saw that I had less than thirty minutes to prepare for school. Then I looked back at Robbie. His body was shaking but only from his quickened breathing. Little drips of sweat ran over his his back and chest.

I couldn't leave him alone. I couldn't go to school when he couldn't even handle himself.

Although Robbie averted to even look me in the face, I sat criss-crossed towards his back and stayed with him.

------------

A knock on the front door gave me a heart attack.

Robbie dressed in the bathroom as I sat in my room, finishing up some homework I forgot to do.

The knock was loud enough to be heard from my bedroom, and it sounded furious. I alarmingly looked out the window to see who it was and saw a familiar grey car parked on my driveway.

Jason.

I threw on a black hoodie, knowing it colder downstairs than it was upstairs, and started running towards the front door. The knocking never ended and it made me curious as to what the rush was.

I opened the door and saw Jason's face, grimacing but then glowing with relief.

"Robyn," he breathed.