Chapter 4 - Splinter

"Oh my God," I mouthed.

"What is it?" Asked Danielle.

I placed a finger over my mouth then pointed out the window. Danielle walked over next to me and covered her open mouth when she saw Robbie.

"What the hell is he doing here?" Danielle whispered.

I shushed her and looked back to Robbie. He was nearing the treehouse and was already too close for any possible escape me and Danielle had.

Immediately, I pushed Danielle towards the bed and urged her to hide under it. At first she refused but gave in once we heard the sounds of Robbie climbing up the tree. She crawled underneath the bed and I followed behind. We both laid on our stomachs and our heads were the closest thing peaking out so we were able to see what was going on.

Soon enough, Robbie had made his way into the treehouse. He had the same expressionless face he always had and threw his backpack onto the bed, nearly causing the mattress to bump our heads. His hands reached into his pockets and he pulled out a cellphone. After a single tap on the screen, he held it up to his ear. I was able to faintly hear the ringing sounds coming from his speaker.

Danielle looked to me and whispered, "What do we do?"

"Just wait," I whispered back.

I looked back to Robbie. By the time I did, the faint ringing sound had already disappeared.

"Hello?" Robbie said.

A few seconds of silence.

"No..... I'm aware...... Okay.....Okay give me a minute." He hung up and to our luck, he started climbing back down the treehouse.

I sighed in relief and I gestured Danielle to crawl out from beneath the bed. She slithered herself out and I followed behind her. Once we were both on our feet again, we became eager to go back to the car.

We walked towards the entrance but I stopped Danielle before she was about to climb down the tree.

"One of us has to go at a time," I said. "You go first, and I'll keep watch. A few seconds after you make your way back to the car, I'll be right behind you. Do you know the way back?"

"Barely," answered Danielle. "But from what I see, the mud really helps mark our footprints so I'll be able to follow them."

"Cover our tracks. We're lucky Robbie didn't notice them in the first place."

Danielle nodded then started climbing down the ladder against the tree. It took less than 20 seconds for her to get back on the ground and just as she did, she looked back up at me and gave a thumbs up. I gave her thumbs back and she started running while following our previous footprints.

Meanwhile, I searched for any signs of Robbie coming back. I never realized how surrounded this treehouse was. Trees covered almost every inch of the perimeter which made it quite difficult to see from inside or outside.

It had been a minute since Danielle made her way back. By then I just realized that I didn't have anyone to keep watch for me. I prayed that it would all work out so I started quickly climbing down. On the way down, my finger slid on the wooden ladder and a splinter dug into my skin. I winched and almost fell backwards but I managed to keep hold on the ladder. Continuing, I finally made it to the ground and was able to examine the splinter on my ring finger.

But I knew I shouldn't spend so much time doing that here so I started moving.

I was a bit unlucky.

A hand wrapped around my wrist and turned me completely around. The situation was still kind of a blur to me so for a few seconds, I let everything happen. But even so, when I met the face of the person gripping on my hand, I couldn't do anything but stand frozen.