Chapter 13 - Cold Floors

A/N: so I kinda just realized.. I feel like I'm the only Robbie Kay fanfic where the first kiss doesn't happen during the first 10 chapters. I guess it's because, personally, I believe that most fanfics are rushed and don't have much of a beginning climax. They normally just go straight to the conflict. And me being NOT a hypocritical person, I'm just doing what I think feels right.
Up top for me :D

okay enjoy the chapter. :))

11:57 PM. Three minutes till midnight.

I laid flat on my bed and stared at the stars hanging from the ceiling as Robbie's light snores filled the room. I hadn't spoken to him much since lunch. Just as I became independent, so did he. But I could still see the intent look in his eyes, wanting to talk to me. As much as I felt similarily, I abided.

Mom came home at around 8 at night. I locked Robbie inside my bedroom and made the excuse of late night studyings to counteract mom from disturbing me. It was also just another contingent solution to prevent Robbie from talking or having mom catch us.

I shivered in bed and turned to my side so I could curl up in a ball. The coldness was seeping through my blankets and it reminded me of the night of the alley.

My body faced the ground where Robbie slept. Earlier, he refused to re-wrap the bandaid around his wounds because it made it harder for him to breathe. But once he put his shirt on, the blood started to stain it. As a result, he slept with nothing but underwear and sweats, revealing his entire upper body and its wounds.

His body trembled in the cold just as mine did. I wondered if the temperature on the floor was a lot tougher to bear than on my bed.

I tried to ignore him and go back to sleep, but then a shiver ran through his body once more. Even I didn't have the tendency to shiver as much as he did.

Out of sympathy, I swung my legs to the side of my bed and pressed my feet against the cold ground. The wooden part of the floor froze my heels and toes so I quickly ripped the blanket from off the bed along with a pillow. I hopped over to the matted carpet where Robbie's body laid and dropped my pillow to the floor so I could lay down next to him. I spreaded the blanket over both Robbie and I as my front faced his back.

The sleeping bag sagged below his waist, and his back glowed in the moonlight peering though my white curtains, regardless of all the cuts and bruises. Without thinking, my fingers trailed over Robbie's spine as I examined the little cuts and bruises that ran down his back. It was strange, but his body felt rough yet smooth like lotion.

Robbie's body slowly turned in his sleeping bag and his front started to face me. Although he was still asleep, his arm slung out of the sleeping bag and fell over me. I was a bit in shock to flinch or roll away, but it was too late to do anything. His body rose as he inhaled and exhaled both deeply.

I stared at him. He looked so peaceful in his sleep. It calmed me little by little.

Then a thought came to my head.

"Sleeping in the same room is endearing enough," Danielle had said earlier today.

But we weren't just sleeping in the same room. We were both on the floor, under the same blanket, with his arm slung over my body. As he was shirtless, I wore nothing but thigh-high red shorts and a black tank top.

Endearing much? I thought. What would Danielle have said?

Robbie's body shifted in the sleeping bag but his position remained. All of a sudden, his eyebrows furrowed and he grunted in his sleep. But his hands gripped onto the sides of my tank top and a few seconds passed until his face softened and his snores continued lightly. Once again, he looked peaceful.

I didn't notice myself smiling at him. So strong, I think, Yet so serene.

Danielle's words zipped past my mind. And although the thought of staying up became intent to my brain, Robbie's warmth clouded my brain, and I fell asleep next to him.

My mind still wandered.

So strong, I think again, Yet so serene.

A/N: Sorry for the short chapter. It's kind of just a filler to help me get something off my mind.

Ily bye. :)<3