Chapter 7 - Beach

I didn't see Robbie during PE. The school suspended him for only the rest of the day.

But half of me wished they didn't.

Despite the ridiculousness of it, I still wondered what Robbie was speaking of. I couldn't have possibly known him even before the day I first came back to Westside High. It was near impossible. I wouldn't have forgotten him. I couldn't have possibly forgotten his ignorant attitude and overwhelming beauty. It just wasn't forgettable.

Yet, I still denied that thought. The way Robbie stared at me during lunch, I knew he saw me differently. I just thought it meant he wanted to apologize for stealing my treehouse.

I wanted to talk to him, but at the same time I refused to.

Either way, I wasnt going to think about him the rest of the day.

I walked out of the building and saw Jason leaning against the side of the stairs, waiting for me. When he saw me, he smiled and waved. I smiled back as I hopped down the stairs and stood beside him.

"Hey," he greeted.

"Hellooo," I said, extending the last syllable.

He started walking towards the parking lot and gestured for me to follow him. I half-strutted behind him.

"So, what are you thinking of doing today?" he asked while looking behind him to face me.

"Umm.." I hummed, "Surprise me."

Jason laughed. "Well you wouldn't be very surprised."

"What? Why?"

He shrugged while shoving his hands into his pockets. "Never been good at surprises."

"Oh come on, you must have something in mind."

He sighed and rolled his eyes up, deep in thought. Then he smiled at me. "Got it."

I tilted my head at him as he started running towards his car. Once he made it to the car, he turned his head to me and quickly gestured for me to come over. I rolled my eyes and ran up to the passenger seat. Once we got into the car, Jason started the engine and began driving out of the driveway.

During the drive, we listened to music from the radio as we discussed to catch up on things.

"So how's your mom?" Jason asked.

"Uh, good I guess," I replied. "She's still having a hard time coping with my dad's death."

"Yeah.. I'm really sorry about that."

I shook my head. "Don't be."

We were silent for a few seconds.

"How are you doing?" he finally asked.

I took a deep breath. "Okay. i mean of course I'm sad, but I was never that close with him so I'm a lot stronger than you think."

"I get it. I just wanted you to know that I'm here for you. I always have been."

I smiled and placed my hand on his shoulder. "I know Jason."

He released one of his hands from the wheel and placed it over mine. He inhaled. "Hey Robyn?"

"Yeah?"

"There's something I've been meaning to talk to you about and.." he trailed off.

I furrowed my eyebrows and dropped my hand from his shoulder. "What is it?"

He tilted his head towards me and frowned. "Do you remember how the night before you left, we both sat on your front porch and reminisced about all the memories we had together?"