Gas - Part 5

Days turned into weeks. Nothing.

No movement on the morse code transmitter, no sound on the tapes. Then, most of all no sight of Holtzmann.

The ghostbusters grew nervous. Where had their friend gone?

"I don't understand." Abby declared, pushing herself back, her wheely chair taking her to the other side of the room.
"What's up Abs?" Erin inquires, looking up from her equation.
"We're supposed to understand ghost. We're supposed to know everything about them. We're supposed to save people from them. Yet we don't know anything about Holtzmann's current state and we didn't save her. So, I don't understand the point anymore." Abby, threw her arms about in despair. 
Erin sighed. Dropping her pen and getting out her seat. "I'll be right back." She then leaves the room.

Abby frowns, slouching further down her chair. Patty smiled over at her, a smile of sympathy.
Patty had recently had a similar break down. She had been reading a book about lay lines, before she grew upset and threw it across the room. Scaring both of her friends. She still hadn't picked up the book, but had relaxed after Erin had brought her coffee.

Erin's foot steps where loud as she entered the room. Her arms wrapped tight around a book and one of her hands held onto a mug. Carefully, she walked over to Abby. Passing her the mug. "Coffee," she states as Abby takes it from her. Now, Erin lowered the book, slowly turning it around.
"This is why we have a point." Abby's eyes land on the cover. It was their book. Ghosts from our past: both literally and figuratively: the study of the paranormal.
"We don't know everything," Erin began to explain,"we learn more everyday. And we save as many people as we can. Holtzmann..." Erin paused, placing the book in Abby's lap.

"Holtzmann, didn't allow anyone to save her, she saved us three instead. All we can do now is thank her and help her." Erin then walked away, not back to her desk but rather to the stairs.
"I'm going for a walk, I'll be back shortly."

"Jillian, you better come back soon. We need you. I know it sounds stupid, maybe even pathetic but you're more that just our friend. We're a team and now with you gone, we've lost a main player. Yes, we can do the busts but there's not much more we can do. Socialise, nope. Have fun and joke about, nope. Support each other, only just." Erin breathed, holding back her tears.
"You came back last time, so where have you gone? You better have a good reason, it's not right to be playing games... We miss you Holtzmann... I-I miss you."

Erin stayed sat for a while longer, deep in thought, before she realised it was getting dark. She stood, her heels sinking slightly into the grass. Erin, wiped her face looking down. Her eyes reading over the black grave stone.
'Jillian Holtzmann.
A Ghostbuster.
A friend, a colleague.
A crazy scientist.
Always loved.'
Erin, smiled her eyes landing on the screw-u symbol.

Finally, Erin turned taking a slow walk back to the fire station.