iii. the dawn

L O K I

"Hey!"

Loki jogged towards the girl, carefully watching the soft green light emanating around her hands. The guards, recognizing him, scrambled to make a path.

"There you are!" he spoke to the girl, "I've been looking all over for you!"

She just looked at him blankly, her brow furrowed, and opened her mouth.

Loki cut her off. "You forgot your book at the market." He handed the thief her desired book.

As the girl gingerly took the book, speechless, Loki turned to the guards. "I'm sorry. I was only wanting to prank my friend here. I did not mean for it to go this far."

The thief's head snapped up, and the guards shifted uncertainly.

"Oh--uh--of course," the head of the guard troop stuttered. He dipped his head toward the girl. "I'm sorry for the trouble, miss."

She could only nod, still speechless and frightened. With that, the guards retreated to the main square.

As soon as they were gone, Loki whirled around. "Who are you?"

Recovered from her shock, the orphan retorted, "Who are you?"

Loki faltered. "You don't know who I am?"

"What does it matter to me?" She shrugged, growing bolder.

"Well, you did steal from me,"

"Well..." She glanced away. "I needed it. You didn't seem to."

Loki gave a heavy sigh. She was not wrong.

After a pause the girl crossed her arms. "Well, are you going to have me arrested? You had a fairly good opportunity earlier."

He shook his head. "I only want to know where you learned magic."

The girl's face paled. "That's none of your business," she said, her voice slightly higher.

"But—"

"If that is all, I must go." The brunette adjusted the bag's strap on her shoulder. "The mistress will not allow tardiness."

She began to walk away, but she stopped and handed Loki the book back.

"No, keep it," he said, "You'll actually appreciate it."

The girl raised an eyebrow. "Did you steal it?"

"Maybe."

A small smile formed on her face. "Well...thank you," she said softly before running out of the alley.

It was only after she was gone that Loki realized that he had not gotten any actual answers. He would have to find another chance to speak to her.

* * *

A M O R A

In the days that passed, Amora spent most nights pouring over her new book. Lorelei often read it with her, but the redhead was more interested in the boy.