xviii. the sorceress

Part II!

I hope I didn't torture you too long waiting for this!

Quick explanation to avoid confusion: Lorelei's treason took place around the year 1413 according to Agents of SHIELD. Part II begins around 300 years afterward.

I hope you all enjoy!!! :)

A M O R A

Peaceful. That was the best word that Amora could use to describe the vast library. The ever-quiet halls always offered a place of solace and calm, making it an ideal comfort for the sorceress following her sister's treason. It was a sanctuary, free from any threat or trouble; the undisturbed and safe atmosphere often lulled minds and alleviated worries.

But Amora knew better. Rather than allow herself to relax in the deceptive peace, she remained alert.

An unseen threat lurked among the rows of shelves, waiting for the right moment to attack. The dim light provided many places to hide, and the silence was nearly deafening with its void.

Except the void was not completely empty. The occasional sound of light steps or disturbed books created an audible trail for Amora to follow until she caught a glimpse of her opponent. A flash of green disappeared around a nearby corner. Amora's heartbeat quickened with each step as she slipped into the common area of the library, eyes falling on a dark figure attempting to hide among the sofas and chairs.

She came to an abrupt stop just short of the threshold of the open space. This does not feel right, she thought, But why?

Her mind couldn't produce an obvious explanation, but some instinct was trying to warn her. Why does this not feel right?

Amora's head jerked up, looking back at the barely visible figure, and the confusion melted away off of her face.

This doesn't feel right.

She closed her eyes and reached out with her magic, feeling for any nearby presence. This was a common practice for Amora, one she had learned at an early age and often used against others. Practice had made what once took ages take only an instant.

Amora whirled around and shot a wave of energy at the familiar yet invisible presence creeping up behind her. A flash of green light revealed her opponent as he was flung backwards and into a nearby bookshelf. The impact forced the air out of him with a huff as he toppled to the floor along with several books.

Amora smiled as Loki struggled to get up, observing him with her hands on her hips. "You'll have to do better than that to best me, Odinson."

* * *

L O K I

Loki couldn't help but chuckle at himself. Here he was, defeated yet again by his deceptively small friend. Once the pair had an impressive mastery of magic, Frigga began to shift their training to focus on facing other skilled sorcerers rather than ordinary warriors. However, any magic-wielders who had reached their level of expertise were either in the healing rooms or the dungeons, leaving just the two of them to face one another.

"How did you know?" he asked, a new plan was already forming in his mind. He knew that Amora's training with Karnilla would always be superior to his, but one more attempt to catch her off guard could not be ignored.