ix. the rejected

L O R E L E I

The redhead stumbled through the forest by the Lord and Lady's home, hoping for a temporary escape from her troubles. Reaching a small clearing, Lorelei collapsed beside a log, buried her face in her arms, and wept.

This whole endeavor had been a disaster. Not the pursuit of the marauders, but her pursuit of Thor.

For many years now had she desired him. His smile could make any girl swoon, his hammer Mjolnir had been the doom of countless foes, his charisma could make anyone his ally, his strength was legendary, and his rise to the throne was inevitable. Anyone would want to be his queen.

Queen. To hold such a position would change everything for Lorelei. She would no longer be some orphaned witch with no name, but a queen with power and respect.

But every woman in the Nine Realms knew of the prince, giving him an endless supply of admirers vying for his affection. Anyone could capture the Odinson's attention, but few could keep it. Lorelei had hoped that their longstanding friendship would make her stand out among the crowd, but that advantage was also shared by Sif.

So Lorelei had turned to magic to win his heart. The sorceress had hoped that enthralling Thor would help him realize his hidden feelings for her.

After the battle with the marauders, she had finally gained the courage to approach him and express her affections for him. There was no magic this time; Lorelei wanted Thor to return her feelings freely and genuinely.

But he had not. Her sudden confession had caught him off guard, and he had awkwardly attempted to tell her how he viewed their friendship in the gentlest way possible.

The rejection crushed Lorelei. Despite his explanation of how he "cared for her as a close companion and ally", it did not ease her pain. Fortunately, the uncomfortable moment was interrupted by her sister's entrance, giving her a chance to escape.

"Lorelei!" Amora's worried voice in the distance only lowered the redhead's spirits even more.

Amora had Loki; Lorelei had no one.

Lorelei had briefly considered pursuing the younger prince, but she had decided against it upon seeing how he looked at Amora. Any woman would kill to have a man gaze at her with such affection, but the brunette was somehow oblivious to his feelings.

The redhead felt a gentle hand rest on her shoulder.

"I do not wish to speak, sister," she choked out.

Amora sighed. "Very well."

Lorelei somewhat expected her to walk away but the brunette settled on the grass beside her, remaining silent.

After a long moment of silence, the eldest sister spoke, her voice barely above a whisper. "What is wrong, Lorelei?"

Finally, having collected herself, the tearful sister lifted her face. "No one loves me," she said miserably.

"Don't be silly. You are loved by many people."

"You do not count," she said, her words pouring out faster and louder, "Frigga does not count. Friends do not count."