xxxiii. the unfamiliar

If any of you hadn't noticed, I accidentally published this chapter without giving it a title! So it just said "The ???" I'm laughing at myself so hard right now!

A M O R A

"What are you doing here?"

Both sorcerers paused, waiting for the other to answer. However, they were pausing more in thought than anticipation. Amora's mind raced with questions.

Why is Loki here? Has he been visiting Lorelei? Is he here for me?

No, she corrected herself, he looks too surprised to have expected me here.

Then Amora's mind slowed, noticing the guilty look that he gave her and the questioning look he gave Lorelei. The thoughts began falling into place to form a reasonable conclusion.

He feels guilty and is looking to Lorelei for answers. She called him her 'visitor'.

He has been visiting Lorelei!

A sick feeling overtook the brunette's stomach. Not because she had been found out, but because her best friend had been keeping secrets from her. And placing some level of trust in Lorelei, of all people!

"You owe me an explanation, Amora," Loki chastised tersely, "You should be resting, not sneaking into the dungeons."

His patronizing tone infuriated her. I am not a delicate child that needs constant care!

She raised her eyebrows indignantly. "I owe you an explanation? Lorelei is my sister. And I may not have asked first, but I was here first. You owe me an explanation."

It was a childish remark but nonetheless effective. The sorcerer sighed, his face weary, "I was here for assistance in preparing for Thor's rule."

Amora huffed at the vague remark. "If you are not going to answer my question, then I will not answer yours."

She turned away from the two, preparing to return to her room. Lorelei had given enough information and the brunette did not wish to stay and listen to Loki.

"Your prince came to me to learn how to conjure immediate portals to other realms."

Amora jerked her gaze back to the redhead, stopping in her tracks. Upon looking back at Loki, she saw him become concerned and alarmed at her severe expression without knowledge of what had passed between the sisters.

Observing this, the brunette thought, Good, satisfied at the small victory over his temporary moment of uncertainty and vulnerability.

Turning on her heel, she vanished from their sight in a flash of green. Now sitting on her bed, Amora lowered her head into her hands, the fire in her dying down into a dejected flicker. Why did Loki go to Lorelei and not me? Does he not trust me?

Suddenly, the blaze grew once more in her. Does he think me too weak or incompetent to help him?

A pair of footsteps sounded from the hall and Amora tensed; she was not ready to face him yet. The sound grew closer until it reached her door...and then it continued in its path toward the central healing hall.