xliv. the veil

A M O R A

"You must speak some reason with him, Amora!" Sif exclaimed, "He dismissed our words. Surely he will listen to you."

"I have already tried," Amora said defeatedly, "He seems obsessed with protecting his position as king."

She looked away despondently and found herself watching Volstagg's gorge himself on yet another pheasant. Attempting to pry anymore answers out of Lorelei had been unproductive and now Amora was left to speculate with her friends. Only they seemed to share her suspicions.

Glancing over at Hogun, Amora noticed the concentrated look on his face. "What are you thinking, Hogun?" she asked.

Having long ago found a kindred spirit in the quiet warrior, she valued the advice that resulted from such deep moments of thought. His words were never wasted.

However, the Vanir still hesitated, "The Gatekeeper would never allow us to use his gate to commit such treason--and I know that it would be a great strain--but could you not travel to Midgard and retrieve Thor?"

The thought had occurred to Amora; It would not be the first time that she had gone from one realm to another without the use of the Bifrost. But she did not trust her own strength to allow such a feat, especially with the avoidance of Heimdall's and Loki's watchful eyes.

"No," Sif said firmly, "that would be too much of a risk for Amora's health as well as her freedom."

They all quickly grew silent when a guard entered. "Lady Amora, Heimdall has requested your immediate presence."

Sif stood with her hand on her sword, but the sorceress placed a warning hand on her arm. The warrior shook her head adamantly. "I will not allow another one of my friends to be banished."

"Calm yourself, Sif," Amora stood and added with a smirk, "And even if I was banished, I'd be able to find my way back home quicker than Thor."

The long ride to the Bifrost did not help the sorceress' nerves as the guard transported her to an unknown fate.

When the guard dropped her off and left, Amora entered to see Heimdall already facing her. "You have suspicions concerning to our king," his voice boomed.

It was pointless to deny the all-seeing gatekeeper, so she nodded. "Yes, I do."

Amora silently braced herself to be berated. She of all people should remain loyal to Loki and no warrior should waver in their commitment to the throne. And no one upheld their oath as dutifully as the gatekeeper.

"Good," Heimdall said curtly, "I feared that your relationship with Loki would blind you."

His words both shocked and relieved Amora. The breath she had unknowingly been holding came rushing out and, dumbfounded, she blurted, "Wait. What? My relatio--?" she paused to organize her thoughts "You suspect Loki, as well?"

"Yes, and I need your help."

This made Amora's stomach churn; any issue that would cause Heimdall alarm must be serious. And this only legitimized her own concerns.

"I do not wish to suspect our new king," he said, looking down, before continuing, "Earlier this evening, he travelled to Jotunheim to negotiate peace, but when I turned my gaze upon him, I could not see him."