xix. the interrupted

F R I G G A

"Now, imagine your energy flowing through the flower like water, replenishing its strength and life," Frigga urged, watching proudly as Amora place her hands on the dirt around the dead plant.

Her protege's magical prowess had grown exponentially over the years despite the obstacles that she had faced. After Lorelei's crimes, the queen had feared that Amora's sorrow would lead her down a similar path. For a time, the young woman was dangerously close to the point of pain that led many down the darker path of death and destruction.

But Amora managed to overcome that and ultimately pursued the complete opposite; she had begun requesting lessons in healing magic. Frigga knew that this stemmed from a need to somehow right Lorelei's wrongs, but the older woman still admired Amora's ability to rise from such hardships.

As light began to spread from the young woman's hands, it replenished the flower. The fallen leaves regrew, the shriveled petals regained their bright color, and the wilted rose straightened to its proud posture. The now healthy rose basked in the warm light filtering through the thin curtains of the queen's study.

Once the flower's healing was complete, Amora leaned back in her seat with a heavy sigh, weariness overtaking her features. Frigga understood, appraising the young woman with a smile. "Transferring one's energy to heal can also result in a sort of exchange. It is normal to feel weary after such an exercise." she explained.

Amora opened her mouth to reply but was interrupted by the loud moan that escaped from her stomach. Her face reddened as the queen lifted a curious eyebrow.

"The spell does not typically cause hunger, however," the queen commented with a combination of amusement and concern.

"My apologies, Frigga."

The young woman's address made the queen smile. It had taken many years for Amora to stop calling her 'my queen' or 'my lady'. "Did you not eat before this session?"

The brunette gave a sheepish look before shaking her head, eliciting an uncharacteristically sharp sigh from Frigga. At this, Amora's eyes grew wide and her tone defensive. "I would have, but my practice with Loki went longer than expected and I did not wish to keep you waiting."

The queen stifled another sigh. "Amora, you could have simply told me that you needed to eat. You must learn to speak up for yourself if you are to properly take care of yourself. Do not allow your quiet nature to make your needs forgotten."

Amora opened her mouth to object but a pointed look from Frigga silenced her. A servant was promptly summoned to bring something to eat. Both sorceresses ate in comfortable silence, having ended their practice session.

Frigga finally broke the silence. "Have you made any plans for the coming festival?" she asked lightly. A festival was to be held in honor of the Asgardian's defeat of the Frost Giants; the day was to be filled with merriment, feasting, and dancing and end with a spectacular display of lights.

Finishing a bite, Amora nodded. "Yes, I plan to spend the day with your sons, Sif, and the Three."

This comforted the queen, knowing that at least one voice of reason would be present to guide her sons. She knew better than to expect a calm day for the two princes.