xxxi. the abandoned

A M O R A

"Hello, sister."

Amora attempted to hide her apprehension; it had been almost 400 years since she had last spoken to her sister. However, she reluctantly opened her mind to Lorelei, allowing them to form a mental connection for communication. It saddened her that the act that was once so familiar and natural was now hesitant and suspicious. But there was no way that she would allow Lorelei to actually speak.

Sensing the connection, the redhead scoffed and spoke through Amora's mind. " 'Sister'? Really? I did not think that I still held that title."

"You have always been my sister, Lorelei," the brunette said with a sigh.

Lorelei sprang to her feet furiously, startling the older sister. "How would I know? You betrayed me and left me in this cell to rot! You abandoned me!"

"Do not accuse me of abandonment!" Amora snapped, "You chose this! You chose to leave me!"

Silence overcame the cell as her words' echoing dissipated. Both were stunned by the normally quiet woman's outburst, but she calmed herself and continued softly, "You forget that I visited you, Lorelei. But I was only met with either silence or harsh words."

The fire in the redhead's eyes died as she glanced away, absorbing Amora's words. But then it came back as Lorelei responded venomously, "That is all that I was willing to muster for you."

The prisoner then turned and casually plopped on her bed, leaning back to prop on her hands. "So what brings you here, Amora?" Her voice was overflowing with mock cheer. "Are you having boy problems?"

This topic caught Amora off-guard "Boy problems? No--I--"

"It is understandable if that prince finally got tired of waiting for you, but what of that handsome soldier? Oh, what was his name--Theoric?"

The brunette stiffened. "What of Theoric?" she asked curtly.

"Guards gossip. I listen." the redhead said matter-of-factly before the mischievous look returned to her face, "and I heard that you two have spent quite some time together in the healing rooms."

"Shut up, Lorelei," she said through gritted teeth.

"Go ahead. Silence me," the redhead challenged, "You are the one allowing our connection. If you do not wish to hear what I have to say, then do not listen."

The imprisoned sister leaned forward, a sly smile playing on her lips. "Oh, but you want to listen. You tell yourself that this is out of duty when it is, in fact, desire that brings you to your 'fallen sister'."

Amora took a deep breath to calm her frustration. "What I desire is information about Karnilla. What do you know?"

Lorelei stiffened at the mention of the powerful sorceress. "What do you expect me to know? I have been in this cell for the past 600 years."

"You were closer to her and undeniably her favorite."

"Oh, please! I may have been the one at her side, but you were the one that she wanted." she then shrugged, "After all, I am not the one getting dreams from her."