viii. the aftermath

L O K I

Loki watched the gunman's end with wide eyes. Amora's skills had always been superior to his due to her early training, but sometimes he forgot how powerful the gentle woman was. It was displays like this that always reminded him.

The skirmish came to a quick end with the remainder of the mercenaries being defeated or scared off.

The villagers were eager to thank their saviors. They offered everything from shelter and food to payment and potential spouses.

The crowd of people surrounding Thor's company parted as a man and woman made their way closer. The Lord and Lady of the small village were distinguished from the others, wearing regal robes and carrying their heads high. The pair offered a bow to the warriors.

"Asgardians," the lord addressed, his deep voice tired and relieved, "Our village is not within your realm of responsibility and yet you still risked your lives to defend us. For that, we are eternally grateful and in your debt."

The rugged leader of the village offered another low bow; his graying brown hair fell from its neat placement.

Thor gave a nod. "We only regret that we were unable to protect all of your countrymen from these criminals. But I swear to you that we will avenge their deaths and bring justice their killers."

"Please allow us to offer you and your companions our home as shelter for the night," the lady of the village said, "You have a long journey home, do you not?"

The weary warriors were quick to accept the offer. The lord's expansive home was the largest building in the village, offering plenty of room for the company.

"This room belongs to our son Elof, but he is off hunting. The ladies are welcome to use it for the night," the Lady explained, motioning towards a door as they walked through the halls of the home.

Loki could not help but observe her as she led the group to the living room and the spare bedrooms. She seemed so familiar. Her fiery red hair would be hard to forget, and her warm brown eyes seemed to have infinite depth. Perhaps he had met her before.

"I'm sorry." He gave the couple his best apologetic smile. "I do not believe I caught your names."

The lord straightened. "I am Erik Larsson and this is my wife Lady Sigrid."

Neither name rang a bell in Loki's mind.

He masked his confusion with a smile. "Well, it is a pleasure to meet you. Thank you for your hospitality."

Suddenly, the slam of a door interrupted their exchange. Lorelei came storming down the hall and towards the door with her quiet sister following close behind.

"Lorelei--" Amora's soft voice implored.

"I'm fine, Amora!" the redhead snapped before disappearing outside.

Amora paused uncertainly and looked to Loki. He took a step toward her, but she only gave a weary shake of her head before following Lorelei.

Loki contemplated following her anyway—this trip had already taken a toll on her peace of mind—but decided against it. He would let her have some space to deal with her sister.

Turning back to the couple, the prince opened his mouth to speak, but he stopped short.

Lord Erik stared at the exit with wide and haunted eyes, and Lady Sigrid's face was now ashen and devoid of color.

"Are you alright, my lady?" Loki asked, his interest piqued.

Sigrid's eyes darted back to the prince's face, and she quickly regained her composure.

"Yes, of course," she rushed, "It's just...this troubling time has been hard for my family." She choked out the final word.

Loki nodded slowly and eyed the two as he chose his next words. "I understand. Family is the most important thing we are gifted with."

The noblewoman lowered her gaze as her husband wrapped an arm around her.

"Yes, it is," Erik agreed lowly.

After a moment of tense silence, Loki excused himself to retire to bed. However, once he was out of sight, he slipped down a different hall, determined to find out what this couple was hiding.

* * *

I chose to cut this one in half as well, so the next chapter will come very soon!

Fun fact: The Nordic name Elof means "sole heir".

Don't forget to comment and vote!

I'd like to know how I'm doing and all input is helpful and welcome. :)