iv. the visit

F R I G G A

Normally, it would be considered odd for the Queen of Asgard to travel all the way to the Bifrost. However, Frigga had become a regular visitor over the past few days, frequently asking about her sons' wellbeing. Well, one in particular.

Dismounting her horse, she smiled as the gatekeeper bowed his head. "Hello, Heimdall."

"How may I serve you today, my queen?" Heimdall asked with a knowing smile.

"What are they doing today?"

Heimdall chuckled. "Loki and his companion are an adventurous pair. They now wander a village, continuing to practice their magic."

"Well, that is not too unusual."

"This particular market is on the other side of Asgard."

"Oh." Frigga's eyebrows shot up, slightly concerned.

"Loki's young friend has many tricks," Heimdall commented, "but she has a kind heart; never one to exploit her power."

The queen relaxed, but she knew that this girl would need guidance. Frigga had no doubt that this was one of the sisters rescued from Nornheim. A young sorceress with such a difficult upbringing would be very prone to follow a dark path.

She smiled softly. "Well, I believe a royal visit to the orphanage is in order."

* * *

A M O R A

The eating hall was buzzing with anticipation as all of the children filed in. Ever since the orphanage's mistress was informed of the coming royal visit, every child was immediately put to work in making the building immaculate.

Their chores had become even more tedious, leaving almost no recreational time. This was the only aspect of this work that Amora minded. She had come to greatly enjoy her outings with Loki. Even though both knew very little about the other's life, they had grown close.

Lorelei occasionally accompanied them, but such occasions were rare due to conflicting chore schedules. Today was supposed to have been a time when the three of them could have gone out together.

Now, the large room was filled with excited chatter as the children's anticipation grew. However, Amora and Lorelei remained silent. Karnilla had informed them of the queen's magical ability, not bothering to hide her loathing of the Asgardian.

Amora shifted in her seat, craning her neck to look around the room. If the queen found out where they truly came from, who knew what their punishment would be?

The entire room grew still and silent as two Asgardian guards entered and stood at attention on each side of the large open doors.

"Presenting Queen Frigga and the Princes Thor and Loki."

Amora and Lorelei froze while the whole room cheered. The two could only stare in shock as their friend entered with the royal family.

He looked no different, sporting the same controlled smile. The expression faltered when his eyes found the sisters, but it returned as he and his brother continued to follow the queen. Their mother.

Lorelei's eyes were wide with wonder, but Amora did not share her excitement. Loki had lied. He is a prince.

* * *