xvii. the ascension

Here (finally) is the final chapter of Part I! I hope you enjoy!!! :)

A M O R A

A sob wracked through Amora's hunched body as she watched her tears hit the floor. She felt empty, as though everything that she had once had inside was gone. As though it had been ripped out, leaving only a weak and weary shell of a woman.

Amora could not bring herself to look up, to look upon her dearest friend's body.

She had never felt so alone. Loki was dead and Lorelei was lost. The two people closest to her were gone.

Her breath came in quick and heavy gasps, blocking out all other sounds and making her whole body shutter. The ragged breaths slowed and calmed for a moment before starting back with even more ferocity.

But something in the way that her huffs echoed through the room made her falter. She forced her breathing to calm, and she listened. The throne room was completely silent.

With a furrowed brow, she turned to look at Sif, still unwilling to see even a glimpse of Loki's fallen form. But her hazel eyes only beheld an awestruck Sif. The warrior's wide eyes were trained on Amora before shifting to stare up at Lorelei.

Amora took a moment to steel herself, and she finally looked up.

And she froze.

A sob of relief escaped her lips.

Loki still stood, alive and well, watching her expectantly while Lorelei was equally unmoving. The whole room had fallen into an eerie stillness. All in the throne room looked at Amora attentively, as though waiting for her to do or say something.

"Well, sister," Lorelei broke the silence, tilting her head to the side. Her voice lacked the malice that it had held earlier. Now it only held innocent expectation. "What do you require of me?"

Lorelei had been enchanted. She had been enchanted by Amora.

Amora's mind stuttered. She had not even intended to enchant the redhead. She had only wanted to keep Loki alive.

But how could such a thing be possible?  Lorelei was a powerful and experienced sorceress. How could she fall to her sister's spell?

"You could have been a force to be reckoned with. A force of nature."

"Karnilla said that you were better, that you had the greatest potential."

Karnilla's and Lorelei's words rang through Amora's mind.

Her head snapped up to look at her sister.

I have Lorelei under my enchantment, she thought, I am in control.

"Release us," she ordered, a new confidence rushing through her.

Lorelei immediately waved her hand, and the chains that bound the two women disappear.

Amora turned to Sif. "Put that collar on Lorelei. I don't know how long I can hold her."