xxvi. the darkness

L O K I

For the next several days, Loki felt a strong sense of foreboding in his system.

He knew that he should be happy for Thor, but he did not share his family's joy. His brother could barely control himself; how could he control a whole realm?

And then there was Amora. He knew that he should be happy for her, as well. She had always wanted to help others, specifically on the battlefield, and it would allow her full use of her abilities. But the thought of her being a part of one of Thor's wars made Loki sick.

"Brother!" The golden prince's call pulled the sorcerer from his thoughts. They had agreed to train together as well as discuss the future. However, Loki knew which of those the afternoon would mostly entail.

So the two clashed as they always had, filling the training room with the sound of metal against metal. The air was pierced by swords and daggers and Mjolnir and green bursts of magic. After several hours, the two lounged on the steps of the small arena, breathing heavily after such an exercise.

Loki gazed down at his brother's weapon of choice sitting between them. He straightened and grasped the handle of it, pulling as hard as he could. His brother chuckled at his futile attempts.

"Another attempt, brother?" Thor asked as the younger brother leaned back against the stone.

The raven-haired prince simply shrugged. "Can't blame me for trying."

The blond smiled, his gaze becoming far away before returning back to his brother. "I have missed this," Thor admitted.

"Missed what?"

"The two of us. It is never just us anymore. There is always someone or something else to distract us." Thor placed a hand on Loki's shoulder, his eyes earnest. "I have missed your companionship, brother, and I wish to keep it in the future."

A smile slowly spread across Loki's features. His brother may be brash, but that did not mean that he was without care.

Thor's eyes suddenly lit up; his grip on Loki's shoulder became tighter. "I wish for you to become my primary advisor when I am king."

Could one feel elated with a slight twinge of pain? Apparently so. "King Thor" just did not ring well in Loki's mind, but his brother's offer would allow him some form of power. He could advise Thor on matters on diplomacy and politics, and of course ensure that Amora did not meet an unfortunate end of the battlefield.

"I would be honored," Loki finally said.

The two relaxed against the steps and looked up at the sky. Everything seemed somewhat more secure. Thor would have his brother's counsel and Loki would be able to protect Amora.

A loud horn abruptly cut through the air, shattering their peaceful silence. Both princes scrambled to their feet and grabbed their weapons. As a battalion of soldiers ran past them, Thor pulled one out of formation and demanded, "What is it?"

"Rock trolls, my prince," the soldier informed before rejoining his troop.

Loki cursed. That race of Asgardian denizens were known for their craftiness with metal and their savagery with a sword. They had long been kept underneath the beautiful realm in what was known as the Realm Below.