25 | Try Harder

○○○

"Our relief at something that might have gone terribly wrong is the title feeling for a hidden chance that we were given. There is always help that we won't know about, but whether we choose to keep going or not is the only help that will let any chances in."

○○○

Yoonbi

I stand in my MSR, trying to focus all my energy into one thing as the video said. When you fully comprehend that what you'll do is important and clear to your mind, you'll be able to accomplish what you aim for. I remember the words over and over, my eyes shut tightly as I pour all that I have but my efforts explode hopelessly, again.

Just to rub it in my face, my MMS1512, aka mental manipulation sensor, says something in its robotic voice, "Mission Failed. Try again." I huff out and narrow my eyes at it as the same words are displayed on the small screen on its face.

I pace the room, playing the video over and over again. Reading the steps till I memorized them, with another groan I walk out with the booklet in my hand, my eyes going over its writings, "mom! I don't know! I can't do it!" I shout and barge into my parent's room, too annoyed to remember that I need to knock first.

"God! Yoonbi! You scared me!" My mom sits up on her bed, my dad isn't home and she's sleeping, leaving me to suffer alone.

"Sorry, but it's not working. I've been trying to learn it this whole week!" I complain, mom stares at me and purses her lips before shaking her head.

"Try harder, you're not doing your best. There is something you must've missed." She tells me, "we can't keep living like that anymore, they're waiting for the chance and I know they're still watching me."

I gulp and nod my head, "okay, you sleep well. I won't stop till I get it right."

Before I go out of the room and shut the door and the lights again I hear my mom saying, "good luck Yoonbi yah, I know you can do it!" I smile to myself and walk back to my MSR. I keep working on it that night, I've been ditching sleeping hours to get it right this whole week but I never stayed up the whole night before.

I stopped doing that since I discovered my third power, I didn't have to stay up studying so much anymore. I didn't feel so pressured or worried. I look at the vacant space around me, SoMin would be with me when I need someone to talk to. But she's not here anymore. She's not here to make me feel refreshed, she's not here to talk me into not giving up.

I take a deep breath and think of my mom, my dad, and those three I need to keep away from my family. Chaewon, Junghan, and Hyungmin. And I try once more. I focus my energy recalling the words, When you fully comprehend that what you'll do is important and clear to your mind, you'll be able to accomplish what you aim for. Instead of feeling the power blowing up at one point, I feel it accumulating inside me till I make my own bubble.

I stand in front of my MMS2512, and direct my power, making sure I can control it well. My hands trace an invisible sphere before they push it forward and I open my eyes just before the ball of bright blue light merges into my robot.

I get down to my knees, feeling all the energy I had in me gone. As I exhale heavily I hear my MMS saying something in a robotic voice, "Subject Successfully Deleted. Congratulations."

I inhale in happiness, "I did it." I whisper to myself, taking my palms off the floor and saying it once more, "I did it!" I stand up and feel dizzy all of a sudden but I don't care. I did it! I run out of my MSR just as my phone, placed on my bed, starts buzzing for me to wake up for school.