Johnny's sister

If Johnny had a little sister

I let out a whimper as mom slapped my sister for the fifth time.

"Get out of here!" Ma hissed and shoved Baby back, to which Baby fell on the dirty hardwood floor.

Baby frowned and let out a silent cry, something a girl her age shouldn't have mastered. I sighed and picked up Baby in my arms, it was easy to do, Baby was only four years old and weighed thirty pounds, and was smaller than a Pit Bull if it stood on hine legs.

I carried her outside to the lot, I stroked her thick curly hair, something that calms her, and set her down on a newspaper. At least she stopped crying and wiped away her tears.

"What do you wanna do, princess?" I asked.

She blinked her big brown eyes, "I'm hungry," she stood up to stretch.

I frowned and search my pockets for money, finding nothing except a receipt and a dirty cigarette, "I'm sorry baby, no money."

She had a neutral face, "okay," she started picking at the newspaper.

I wanted to cry. A four year old would've screamed and threw a tantrum, but Baby knew better, she was afraid I'd hit her like dad and mom did. I knew she loved me and all; but I looked too much like the people who slapped her around.

I offered her a weak smile, "how 'bout we see Pony?" I asked. She looked at me and smiled. I knew she would.

"Pony!" She laughed when she saw him, and Ponyboy returned the laugh. "Hey Babycakes, how's it goin'?"

Baby blushed, "I'm doing s-swell!"

Pony cocked an eyebrow, "you're talking better English than me, what gives?"

Baby blushed again,"I learned it from Mickey," Pony smirked and ruffled her thick curly hair, "'course you did."

The metal door slammed, I flinched, I felt a warm arm wrap around me, "ah, sorry Johnnyboy," Dally apologized. I shrugged, "it's cool."

I heard Baby's light whimper, she hid behind Pony's leg, but I could still see her staring at Dally with wide eyes.

Dally made eye contact with Baby, Baby turned a deep red and squirmed behind Pony's leg. Pony and I looked at each other with amused faces.

Baby declared that everyone in the gang was her boyfriend, but secretly, Dally was her true love and knight in shining armor. I had laughed and told the whole gang, who just laughed with me.

Except Dally. He was disgusted.

Dally sighed, "you brought your kid sister?" I nodded and he yanked his arm off of me and picked up Baby and set her on his lap as he sat down. I could see Baby squirm and she looked at me with terror in her wide eyes.

Even though she claimed she loved Dally, she was deeply afraid of him, everyone was.

Dally stared at kid sister with his dark blue eyes, I reckon my baby was staring at him with her black eyes that had a sparkle.

"You scared of me?" Was all the hood said.

Baby quickly shook her head, her tangled curls bouncing as she did.

Dally smirked, "good," he kissed her cheek and took her off of his lap. He stood up and yawned, "I'll be at Bucks, got a rumble with Tim." He lazily said and left.

Ponyboy and I were left wide eyed and staring at each other. I quickly looked at Baby. She was looking dreamily at the door Dally just walked out of, she had a stupid smile on her face and she was so red, it scared me.

I gulped, "you know princess, I think Dal likes you," I decided to say.

Baby gave me a sly smile, "I know." She giggled.

I am trash