Mate

Keira parked her midnight blue car in it's usual spot at the farthest corner of the school parking lot. She had always enjoyed walking the short distance to the school building that was why she had claimed the spot. She turned off the engine then fished out a compact mirror from the pockets of her backpack. Satisfied that she looked presentable, she gathered her things. She was about to open up her door when Jacob beat her to it. Her lips lifted upward as she tucked the stray strands of her hair behind her ears.

In that split second, Jacob's time came to a sudden halt. Everything zoomed in and focused on the very beautiful female smiling up at him. Her eyes were like the sky on a sunny day. They were clear and bright. Her raven locks fell on her shoulders and he had to clench his fists to avoid running his fingers through her hair. Her lips that were stretched upward in a smile from ear to ear looked too attempting for Jacob's liking.

"Hi, Ki." Jacob tried to match Keira's bright and warm aura as he offered his left arm to her. He had always made it a point to park his own car beside Keira's spot. He always arrived ten minutes before her just so he could open her door every morning.

The female willingly accepted Jacob's arm and Jacob couldn't help the color from rushing to his face. There was a twinkle in his eyes that revealed more than what he had wished to let on. He was madly in love with her.

"Hi, Jake. How was your vacation?" Keira was only glad to see her best friend again. The male had to go away due to reasons he wouldn't divulge to her. It seemed suspicious but she trusted him enough to respect his privacy. She believed he would tell her whenever he was ready.

"I'm just glad it was over. Being away from you for so long almost drove me mad." Jacob's eyes only held sincerity as the words flowed out of his mouth. It made all the blood rush up to Keira's face and it was her turn to blush.

"Oh... I missed you too, playboy." A small laugh escaped Keira's lips as she said these words. It was laughter that sounded like music to Jacob's ears.

Jacob stopped in his tracks then stepped away just enough to give Keira a look of disbelief. "But I only have affections for you, Ki." Jacob even feigned a pained look on his face, one hand over his chest to exaggerate.

Keira shook her head then let out another chuckle as they continued to make their way to the now crowded school building. It was the first day and so most of the students came earlier than usual. There was this vibrant energy in the air. The crowd parted when they saw their future Alpha and Beta coming through.

The school admitted both humans and werewolves with the former not really knowing the existence of the latter. But with the majority of the student body giving Keira and Jacob the utmost respect, the rest followed.

It wasn't hard to do so as Keira had always possessed a friendly and approachable character. She was known for treating every single person with courtesy and listening to them without prejudice. She was the head of the student council along with Jacob, ensuring to be the bridge between the faculty and students needed to communicate efficiently. She was also a member of the school's volleyball team, the setter to be more precise while Jacob played football.

Keira and Jacob always had an inexplicable connection between them. There was a spark and chemistry when you looked at them. It was like they were really meant for each other. The whole Royal Moon Pack believed they were mates. Imagine the disappointment when they both came up of age and discovered otherwise.

Nonetheless, Keira believed he will always be someone special to her while Jacob knew he will choose her over his mate in a heartbeat no matter what. He did.

There was only a little ways left to their first class when Keira abruptly stopped in her tracks. Her heart began beating erratically as her eyes glazed over. She stiffened and turned as white as sheet. Beads of sweat started appearing on her forehead in contrast to the cold that ran up her spine.

"What's wrong, Ki?" Jacob cupped her cheeks, trying to make her look into his eyes only for it to be unexpectedly pushed away. He saw the look in her eyes and realization suddenly dawned on him. He knew this day would come but he constantly prayed to the Moon Goddess it would later rather than sooner.

Keira inhaled deeply and there it was, a whiff of something rich and exotic. She could almost taste its bittersweet flavor in her mouth. She took a step, trying to locate the source of the mouthwatering scent.

"Ki... Keira." The way her name slipped from Jacob's lips sounded almost like a plea but Keira didn't even throw him a glance. He couldn't lose her. Not now, not ever.

"Mate." The words finally came out of her mouth in a whisper. Her eyes fixed on a male standing, not a few meters from where they were. She took a few steps forward and Jacob tried to stop her by grabbing her elbow  but she removed it rather harshly.

Keira couldn't help it. Everything about her mate was inviting her in. He smelled divine. His raven hair was skilfully tousled, she couldn't help but want to run her fingers through it. His broad shoulders and strong arms seemed like an invitation for her to be held. She stood there mouth hanging open as she raked her eyes over his body. Like a magnet to metal, she took a few more dazed steps towards her mate. Her stormy grey eyes were met by chocolate ones when he turned.

Keira's sanity left her and instincts took over. She grabbed the collar of his shirt then crashed her lips to his. It felt like magic when their lips touched. Her body felt like it was lit on fire and she willingly melted. The world slowly disappeared around them. He made her feel like nothing else mattered. Her hands traveled to his chest while he held her face in place. When they broke apart for air, they rested their foreheads against each other. She looked up at him, still under a spell. She almost gasped when she saw what seemed like lust and desire in his eyes.

It was the best kiss in the world.