The Human Way

Keira tapped her right foot impatiently. She wanted to run to her mate right away the moment she heard he had been discharged from the hospital but her father had other ideas. Alpha Kingsley stopped the she-wolf and dragged her across the territory to the Crimson Wolves Pack. Apparently, they were to enter a treaty with them.

"You need to learn these things as early as possible, Keira." She remembered what her father said sternly on the way there. Yet somehow, Keira felt this was just some scheme to pull her away from her mate whom his father doesn't approve of, by the way.

In the beginning, Alpha Kingsley wanted his niece to succeed him since he believed it was her rightful place. However, Katarina left the pack and disappeared for years. He had no choice but to train his daughter instead.

It was decided that the title would pass on to Keira but Katarina came back. Alpha Kingsley discussed the matter with the Luna and though the latter didn't disagree, Alpha Kingsley knew she wasn't all for it either. 

Things ended up that Katarina herself refused to accept the title but the Alpha had yet to give up. However, he needed to secure the future of his people so he was dragging Keira back to perform her duties as the successor.

There was a time Keira loved doing these things, Alpha training as her father once described it, yet now, it caused her nothing but annoyance. She should be with her mate right now but instead, she was stuck with pack business.

Keira kept a straight face all throughout the visit. She endured the long hours of nonsense chattering and socializing. She had sat through the numerous meetings conducted all for the sake of successfully forging alliances with the Crimson Wolves. She had bottled it all in until the last day when the two Alphas shook hands and said their goodbyes.

Keira couldn't be more thankful. Those five days was pure torture. If only she could run ahead of her father back to their territory. 'You have endured those five days. You could surely sit tight for another.' She convinced herself.

A huge smile cracked on Keira's face the next day. She just had a good feeling about this day. Nothing could possibly go wrong. She stood in front of her locker hopping from one foot to the other. She was giddy. She wanted to run, to scream at the top of her lungs, to just burst with happiness... but she had to wait. Any minute now, Brian would show up to get his things from his locker for the first class. She glanced at her wristwatch every now and then but there was no Brian even after the final bell had rung.

Keira walked the hallways with her shoulders hanging low. All the excitement had drained out of her system and all she wanted to do now was to go home. She was in front of the classroom door when she suddenly felt tingly all over. Every fiber of her being was vibrating with anticipation. She opened the door then walked in with a bounce in her step.

What her eyes had seen made her froze. There, at the back of the room, was her mate. He looked dashing but Keira could only frown. Sitting beside him was a girl with blonde hair and green eyes. She was wearing a pink off-shoulder top and skinny jeans. Keira wanted to grab her sky-high heels and just pierce the girl's fluttering eyes. She was clearly flirting with her mate.

Keira let out a low, menacing growl. She didn't appreciate that someone was getting all the attention from her mate. She walked straight to them but the two didn't make any move to show that they noticed her. This infuriated her more.

"Move." Keira's voice boomed throughout the room. She was making herself known, as well as making a scene. The girl just stared at her wide-eyed and Keira could only huff in irritation. "I said move. You're in my seat." There was a hint of danger in the tone of her voice. Keira was ready to shred the b*tch if she continued to gawk at her instead of doing what she was told.

Keira had been so worried about Brian. She wasn't there for him when he was discharged and the next five days after that, she had to attend to pack business instead of checking up on him after so much has happened.

Today, she was so excited to see him. He was well and alive. He was back but he was with another girl. All the emotions she had kept to herself were making her act out at this point. 

"There are a lot of vacant seats in the room. You don't need to be like that with her." Brian's voice was deep and husky in Keira's ears. It soothed her but not enough for her to back down. 

"Why are you defending her?" Keira was clearly angered by her mate defending another female. Brian was her mate. He should be taking her side.

"She's my friend and you... are being rude." The smirk on the blonde girl's face when Brian said this was what pushed Keira to her breaking point. She raised her fists in the air and was about to punch the girl in the face when...

"What's going on here? Miss Kingsley?" The teacher had his eyebrows raised at Keira. Not that she could see it, of course. She was still facing the girl and her back was to the teacher.

A long moment of silence but Keira didn't answer. She just closed her eyes as she let her hand fall to her side. Her brows furrowed but a sick grin made its way to her face after a moment.

When she opened her eyes, she had another kind of smile plastered on her face. She turned to face the teacher and she saw how the expression on her face took him aback.

It was a cheshire grin and it only meant one thing... something bad was about to happen depending on the other's response to her wishes. "You see, this girl here," Keira pointed at the blonde girl irritatingly, "won't move out of my seat no matter how many times I tell her to."

The temperature fell a little as silence draped over them. The humans had their jaws hanging while the werefolk in the room only continued minding their business in silence. This side of Keira had rarely shown and it seemed so out of character for her.

The teacher felt uneasy under Keira's stare. He cleared his throat and he finally found his voice. "Miss Grant, please take the seat here at the front."

"Thank you, sir." Keira said sweetly, her demeanor changing real quick. Blondie, a nickname Keira had made in her mind for the girl, started to gather her things. She moved painlessly slow and her eyes looked like they would shoot lasers, yet when Keira met her gaze she immediately bowed down. The girl knew she couldn't take on Keira.

"What?" Keira shot her mate an innocent look once she had settled on her seat. Brian was staring at her. His eyes held disbelief at Keira's behavior. He shook his head disapprovingly at her then let out a bitter laugh. 

"You know that's going too far." Brian didn't hide his displeasure. Keira, he realized, was unreasonable and selfish. "Why would you even want to sit here?"

"Because you're here..." Keira answered like it was common sense. 'Cueless human.' She wanted to say but held it in. It wasn't Brian's fault in the first place. He couldn't feel the mate bond as much as she could. It didn't affect him as much as it did her.

Keira decided, if he can't be her mate yet then there's only one way to stake a claim on him. "You're my boyfriend. Couples sit together all the time, Brian." She winked playfully at him while he could only stare at her in disbelief with his mouth hanging open.