Too Late

Brian was bathing in his own sweat and his body ached all over. When Joshua came up to him the next morning after the celebration, he did not expect Keira's head warrior to beat the hell out of him. 

"Is that all you've got?" Joshua looked down on Brian who was sprawled on the ground. "How do you expect to beat West Winds' Alpha if you're this weak?" Joshua was taunting Brian, that much was obvious. He circled the raven haired human who remained still. When after a while Brian did not make any move to stand up, Joshua turned his back on him. "Then I guess Keira is better off with Sebastian after all."

It was not even a single step away when Brian shouted at the top of his lungs. "You! Take it back!" Brian, though with much difficulty, pushed himself up from the ground.

Joshua turned to face Brian, the former's arms crossed against his chest. "Make me." The male werewolf said with a sneer. With a battle cry, Brian charged towards the warrior.

It was past midnight when the two decided to call it quits. Brian lost miserably in each and every sparring round. He knew he needed to work harder though the time would not permit. From the window of his room, Brian gazed at the pack house. He imagined Keira's face. Her smile. The sound of her voice. He decided that he will be the one to stand beside the love of his life. He will be worthy of the pack. He will, no matter what. "They can't tell me who I can and can't be with." Brian said to himself before finally closing his eyes and falling asleep.

The next day, just as the sun was beginning to peek out of the horizon, Brian heard a loud knock from his door. With a groan, he pushed his sore body off the bed. 

"I knew you'll be already up at this hour." Joshua greeted him at the door. "You're determined aura yesterday said so." Brian was annoyed at how Joshua was mocking him but he didn't say anything. The two went out for a run and didn't stop until it was 10 in the morning.

"What the heck are we doing this for?" Brian asked with both of his hands on his knees. "It's just... I don't see the point. Tomorrow at dusk, I will be facing Sebastian. All this is just making me tired and sore instead of getting me prepared  for the duel." Brian stood up properly then looked at Joshua standing a few good meters away from him. "Is this some kind of sabotage?"

The head warrior turned to face Brian. The former had an unamused look on his face. "Well, I apologize for thinking you wanted all the help you can get given the time frame. But I guess you're all so high and mighty to need it." Joshua took a few steps towards Brian before the former continued, "I would also want you to know, I don't think you're worthy of our Alpha. But some important people don't want you slaughtered so I had no choice."

Joshua walk past Brian, bumping on the latter's shoulder in the process. Brian was left standing there, processing the other male's words. Nobody thinks he's worthy of Keira. He let out a scoff before shaking his head and finally heading to the guest house.

Brian was just about to go in the guest house when he caught sight of a familiar silhouette. "Keira..." He called out to her softly. The she wolf turned and met his gaze.

"Brian." It wasn't soft and sweet. The tone of Keira's voice was cold and hard. Keira took in Brian's tired state then she spoke, "You are no match for Sean. So, while you still have the chance, I beg you... stop this madness."

Brian let out a humorless laugh. "I don't believe this. I just can't believe this." Keira's brows knitted together as she looked at her true mate. Brian wiped his imaginary tears and with so much anger, he said, "You all think I'm only out to get myself killed. You all don't believe in me. But let me tell you, I can and I will. Just watch me, Keira. I will fight for you."

Keira took a step forward her emotions slowly showing in her face. "That's just stupid and you know it. You aren't even in love with me! Why can't you just be scared for your own good and leave us alone?!" Keira's fists were slowly turning into a ball on her sides. She was suppressing her outburst.

"I won't say I'm not scared because I am. But I want this bad enough to try and fight for you. You said so yourself a long time ago, I am your mate. I was made for you. I am the only one for you." Brian reached out to touch Keira's chin. He then lifted her face up and traced her lips with the tip of his finger. "Please, just let me have this chance for you." Brian moved his head closer until his forehead was rested against hers. Both of their breaths were shaking. He was trying to give Keira time if she wanted to pull away which he was expecting her to do any time now. But the she-wolf didn't. 

Slowly, Brian closed the gap until their lips finally touched. His lips felt slightly chapped against her soft cotton candy ones. Sparks flew in every direction, and the world slowly disappeared around them, along with all the worries, troubles and fears. She made him feel like none of that mattered. This was the only that mattered. This moment, right here.

Keira's mind, on the other hand, was screaming for her to stop. This wasn't right. This was irresponsible. Her rational side willing her body to push Brian away but she didn't. Instead, she savored his touch as if it was the first time... as if it will be the last time.  

When they finally pulled apart, Brian saw a stray tear falling from Keira's eyes. He wiped it away then spoke, "Do I love you?" Brian's hand drifted to Keira's hip. It settled there and he pulled her closer. "That day I first saw you, there was something even though I didn't know what." She was pressed firmly against his warm chest. "I could never wish to go back to even a day before that." He laughed a bit then nuzzled his face against her hair. "I couldn't begin to think how I lived until then or how stupid I was for pushing you away after. But I already decided it was time to stop all this b#llsh*t. I decided it was time to face you properly and fight for what we have... for us." 

Keira pressed her palm against Brian chest in an attempt to pull away. Just then did she felt his wound. The one Jacob had given Brian. It sent a grim expression on the alpha female's face and she couldn't bear to even think that tomorrow her mate would be facing the same danger again.

Brian pulled away slightly, just enough to allow himself to look into Keira's eyes then he spoke,   "I know I couldn't offer you much but know that I will always choose to be beside you, Keira. Yes, I love you. While I breathe, I am yours in mind, body and soul."

Keira felt her heart melt. She had been waiting for this all along. But the right time had already passed. She pushed forcefully this time and Brian finally gave in, letting her go. "It's too late, Brian. You're too late."