Punishment

Brian was a only a few kilometres away from the border when Keira had managed to catch up to him. The male was running like mad and so Keira had no choice. She sprinted towards him and their bodies crashed, causing them to fall on the damp earth.

"Brian!" Keira called out to him while trying to grab his flailing arms. "Brian, stop!" But her pleas only made him thrash more wildly. "Stop! It's me. It's Keira."

The male seemed to relax a bit after hearing Keira's name but his eyes remained wild... frightened. "W-we need to get out of here." Brian's terrified eyes darted all over the place like he was watching out for something that would jump out of the trees and devour him. "There's a beast in this place. There are monsters here. We're not safe here, Keira."

"Shhhh... It's okay, Brian. I'm here. You're safe now." Keira tried to calm him down. She enveloped his body in the safety of her arms then rubbed his back comfortingly. "I'm here now."

But Brian only pulled away, "You don't understand! There's a beast here. A-a... a huge black dog! A wolf!" Brian grasped Keira's arms in a death grip, almost enough to cut off the blood from it. "It's gonna kill us! We'll die if we don't leave now!"

Keira once again hugged her terrorized mate. She produced a syringe from her back pocket and, with her eyes closed, she let the needle sink into Brian's neck. "It's going to be okay." She whispered in his ear as the male's strength slowly left his body.

Two warriors then appeared from behind them. Keira didn't turn but just gave them an order. "Bring him to the pack house. Have the pack doctor examine him." The two moved closer then carefully tore the human away from their alpha. One lifted him up as the other shifted into an ash brown wolf. The former secured Brian's body on the wolf's back and soon, they were gone.

"Katarina." It was one word but it was enough to let the other female know what Keira wanted. There was a second of dead silence in the mind link before the brunette answered her. "He's at the training grounds."

Keira immediately bolted for the direction of the training grounds. She didn't even bother shifting. The remaining rational piece of her knew that her wolf side taking over her would be bloodier.

The moment the blue-eyed mutt came into view, Keira immediately threw a punch on his face. "You've hurt my mate once. I didn't kill you." Keira held either side of Jacob's face then kneed him in the gut. The male bent forward because of the pain. "You threaten our bond. I didn't kill you." She pulled Jacob up to her level then stretched her right leg.

Keira delivered a powerful kick on the left side of the male's body. It was fortunate enough that Jacob had managed to block it, causing the force to decrease. He staggered a few feet away from Keira instead of flying yards away. "Now, you do this?"

"Tell me, Jacob." Keira's eyes turned a bright shade of gold. Her fangs were slowly elongating as well as her claws. "Why shouldn't I kill you?" The way the raven-haired alpha stalked her prey promised only one thing... its end. She grabbed the unresisting beta by the neck then raised her arm, ready to strike.

Katarina couldn't take another second of it. She couldn't let him die before her eyes. And so, not really minding the repercussions of what she was about to do, she stepped forward then grabbed Keira's arm. "Keira. Please, stop."

Keira turned to her cousin with a snarl. She let go of Jacob then grabbed Katarina's arm which was holding hers. She twisted the brunette's arm and a sickening crack followed. It didn't stop there. With her sharp claws, Keira aimed for Katarina's torso. The blow didn't just send the other female flying, it also punctured her flesh.

Katarina's bleeding form on the ground seemed to have knocked Keira to consciousness. There was a passing guilt on the alpha female's face but her eyes remained the same. Golden. "Bring Jacob to the dungeons." Keira's voice boomed at the command. The head warrior, Joshua, could only nod. "You know what to do."

--------------------    

*** Do you guys believe in happy endings? ***