Broken Bonds

"Listen to me, Keira! You're the Alpha's daughter. Everyone expects you to have an Alpha mate or at least a Beta. Not some... some trash like him!" Keira had been away for days to watch over Brian and this was the first thing she heard the moment she came back to the pack. Her mind went blank and the next second, she was being pulled off of Jacob by two Royal Moon warriors.

Jacob was a bloody mess on the ground the next moment Keira came back to her senses. His nose was broken and claw marks were all over his arms but she couldn't care less. He chose this. Now, he got what he deserved.

She turned on her heel then started walking away from the scene. She needed to talk to her father and sure as hell Jacob wasn't getting in the way of that.

Keira needed time to cool off so she doesn't do something she would regret later but Jacob just had to open up his big mouth again. "It doesn't sit well with the pack, Keira. It doesn't sit well with me and I bet my life it won't with the Alpha and Luna."

Keira clenched her fists too hard that her knuckles were white. She gritted her teeth to reign in her emotions. She took another step away from Jacob but then again, the male spoke, "I am sorry if I hurt you in any way but I won't apologize for putting him in his place. He's nothing but a weak, unworthy human, Keira."

Every insult to Brian lashed at Keira's heart like a silver whip. They seeped through her veins like poison. She was hurting so much but she knew Jacob couldn't see it anymore. He was blinded by his emotions and Keira realized she didn't want to join him in that department. She pressed her lips together. She dug her claws in her palms until she had drawn out blood.

They grew up together and she thought she knew him so well but did she, really? Who was this person then? What had happened to her sweet, sweet Jacob? She didn't know anymore. 

"Reject him, Keira or I'll make him do it." This made Keira abruptly turn to face Jacob. She looked into his eyes and tried to dig deep into his soul but she only regretted it. There was no hint of remorse in his eyes. He strongly believed everything he had said.

Keira didn't hate anyone. She never had. Her mind had always sought to understand. She had always chose compassion. She also wanted to do it for Jacob right now but in some way he had betrayed her... and Keira won't keep the people who hurt her. That was suicide. 

"Are you even hearing yourself, Jacob?" Keira didn't have the strength to be mad. She was suddenly drained. She felt defeated. Jacob was her best friend. She thought he would understand. He was the last person she wanted to lose. Yet here they were, the bond they had slowly crumbling to the ground.

"There are others worthy to stand beside you, Ki. I am more worthy to stand beside you." Jacob had put more emphasis on his last sentence. Keira could only think that the male had already lost his mind.

How could he expect her to reject her own mate? Didn't he understand what a mate is to a wolf? Was he clueless about the aftermath of rejection?

But she knew he was very much aware because Jacob was there helping console Katarina when Katarina got rejected by her destined. He was a witness to its destruction and he wanted to bring that upon Keira this time.

"I love you, Keira. I have loved you for so long. I've given everything I had to make you happy and I know I have managed to do that. But then your mate comes waltzing in and you give me blank and cold stares right then and there. It hurts!" The look on his face almost made Keira whimper. She didn't want him to feel this kind of pain but she was hurting too. What had they become?

"It hurts that you were with him the past three days. You didn't even come to see if I was still alive! I would rather you drive a knife into my heart than to see you go over to him, Keira." Jacob didn't know if this was selfish of him or not. His mind was torn. His heart, broken and soul was tortured. Losing her would be the end of him, that was the only thing he knew. "I won't just stand aside and let him take what is rightfully mine."

"I am his, Jacob. He's my mate! What part of that could you not understand?!" Keira was still hoping to talk some sense into him. But that last string of hope was torn by the look he had given her. It told her he wouldn't budge.

"I would sacrifice anything... my mate... the whole world... if it means being with you." Jacob's eyes were like the ocean of frozen emotions. It gave him a scary and intimidating air around him. "I will get rid of him if it comes down to it."

Keira knew that look. It means he would follow through with his words.  "You're the worst." She dragged each word as her steel grey eyes met his icy stare.

"But just know that I will protect him with everything I have even if it means killing you with my bare hands." She, then, turned on her heel and left.