Walls

**revised: 01/26/18**

There was an uneasy tension in the atmosphere even with the chatter of other people in the room. Brian stole a glance at Keira who was seated at the far end of the table. Her hair, black as the night sky, ran down her shoulders in soft waves. There was a slight crease in her forehead and her eyes looked stormy, lost in deep thoughts. His eyes landed on her pink lips. The top lip was thinner and it had a natural cupid's bow while the bottom one was more plush.

Keira's head snapped at Brian's direction and the latter tensed up. He was caught. But there was one problem. He couldn't look away. Brian's grip on his fork tightened. He felt a pull urging him to stand up and cross the distance between them. He was being sucked in.

The male was brought back from his thoughts when Keira abruptly stood up from her seat. She  turned on her heel without saying as much as a word and the crowd grew silent as they watched their alpha disappear.

"I should probably check on her." Katarina stood up from her seat beside the human male. She went to the direction where Keira had gone. All eyes landed on Brian the moment the brunette was out of sight. They gave him weird stares and he felt uncomfortable. So he stood up with his chair making a screeching sound. They were still staring at him oddly. He walked out of the dining hall and to the direction where the cousins had disappeared to.

When Brian reached the floor where the rooms were, he immediately approached the door to Keira's bedroom. It was slightly ajar and he thought maybe he could sneak up on the females and listen in on whatever they were talking about. He was surprised when he saw the two already looking in his direction.

"So... how are you?" Brian asked looking at everywhere but Keira's eyes. "Do you not feel well? I-uh... You didn't touch your dinner."  

Keira didn't answer while Katarina politely excused herself to give them some privacy. "I'm okay." Keira finally answered, resting her back on the headboard. 

Brian took slow steps towards Keira. He was unsure whether he was allowed in or not. He stopped when he was already at the foot of her bed. Silence hung over them and Brian didn't know how to start. It dawned on him that the two of them had never really talked. It was all tease and dodge with them.

"Why are you still here?" Keira spoke coldly. She was staring out the window, not even throwing a glance at Brian.

 "I-I don't know." Brian looked down then rubbed his nape using his right hand. Did he really not know? "The truth is..." Was he going to be honest or was he just going to invent an excuse for coming back? "I-I wanted to -uh... see you. I wanted to apologize for the way I treated you. I-I also got worried when I heard you were going through... some things. You're my friend so... yeah. That's all."

Keira scoffed and was now looking at Brian. Her eyes were the same dark void as yesterday. They were like cold, black steel. "You can leave now." 

Brian pressed his lips into a thin line. Was this what he was going to get for trying? All the blood rushed to his head and the male felt like exploding. He breathed deeply then spoke, "I got worried when you didn't show up at school for weeks." His brows knitted together for it felt like Keira was gone longer than that. "Damn it! You were away for so f*cking long."

Keira didn't respond. She just remained still like a statue. Brian felt a pang in his heart. He felt like there was a hand grasping his neck, cutting off the oxygen from his system.'She doesn't care.' "I thought you... went away. Off to somewhere far. Somewhere I can't reach you. I-I didn't want us to part with you holding grudges against me. I wanted to apologize so bad. I just want us to be okay again, Keira."

"Why does it matter? You don't want me. You made that clear weeks ago." The calm in her voice surprised Brian. She said it so nonchalantly as though it was just some trivial matter as killing a fly.

Brian wanted to snap. "What does this have to do with me wanting you or not? You're my friend! I care about you! I want to fix this between us but how can I do that when you treat me like... like... like I am nothing to you." He felt angry. Not with Keira. But the circumstances. With himself. With the feelings that seemed to mess with his mind. With his mind that couldn't seem to explain what he was feeling.

"You come here and demand that we go back to the way things used to be. You understand nothing, Brian." Keira looked at Brian with the same impassive expression which seemed to just infuriate the male even more.

Brian placed a hand over his eyes. His jaws were set hard and his breathing unsteady. He eventually let his hand fall to his side then spoke, "Then tell me. Make me understand! You can't just push me away!" 

"But you can?" Brian opened his mouth to say something in return but he remained speechless. The silence stretched on painfully long as the two stared into each other's eyes. Finally, with an exasperated sigh, Brian spoke. "Look, Keira... I'm trying."

"And I am done." Keira laid back on her bed then pulled the covers up to her body. She turned to her side away from Brian then said, "Good night."