{3} Angel and River Hale

~Leata~

"That was a good training, team captain." Coach Lizzy pats me on the back. "Play like that when the scouts are here and you're sure to get a scholarship."

I smile and shake my head.

"I'm going to play better than that when the scouts are here, Liz." I tell her. "Like Stephen Curry says, 'Play like you're in first, train like you're in second'."

Lizzy laughs. "From the amount of Stephen Curry quotes that pops out of your mouth each day, I don't know why you play soccer instead of basketball."

I shrug. "I do play basketball. Just not for school."

"Of course." She shakes her head in amusement. "Now go. Your brothers are waiting with that Italian hunk. See you tomorrow, kid."

"Bye, coach!" I call over my shoulder as I make my way to Ryder, Tyler and Blake who are waiting at the bottom of the bleachers.

Lizzy is pretty young for someone who's coaching the varsity girls soccer team. She's actually only 19. She used to come to this high school. Graduated last year, actually. She was the captain last year and I've been playing on varsity with her since I started this school, so I'm pretty close to her. Instead of accepting any of the soccer scholarships from the various universities, she decided to go to community college in our small town of Riverhead and coach our team in her spare time. She's the team's big sister and mother. The mother who is not mature at all.

*~*

"Mom, we've got a surprise for you!" Tyler calls into the house as Ryder unlocks and opens the door.

"Did you buy me Nutella and Oreos?!" Mom's excited voice rings out as she walks out of the kitchen.

"Um, no." Ryder tells her, frowning when mom's face drops and a pout takes over her face.

Yeah, she has that power over us. Just one flash of the puppy dog face and we're whipped.

"It's better than Nutella and Oreos." Tyler waves his hand.

Mom raises an eyebrow at him. "What could possibly be better than Nutella and Ore--BLAKEY BOY!"

And for the first time since I've met him,

Blake smiles.

Ooh, he's got a gorgeous smile.

"Hi, Angel."

Mom envelopes him in a tight hug and Blake hugs her back.

"We've been living with her for seventeen years and we're her children yet we've never got a reaction like that out of her." I mumble as Ryder and Tyler nod in agreement.

Then dad walks downstairs.

"Devil, why the hell are you yellin--BLAKE!"

Dad pulls mom off him and hugs Blake, who hugs him back.

I turn to mom, and she has a glare on her face.

"River Forest Hale!"

Here lies River Forest Hale. Beloved father, son, brother and idiot husband. Rest in pieces.

"Yeah, baby girl?" Dad nervously pulls away from Blake and slowly turns to look at mom.

"You're sleeping on the couch tonight."

Blake let's out a low whistle. "Damn, not the couch."

"But, Devil!" Dad whines.

"Whipped." Blake coughs.

"Shut it, DeAngelo." Dad glowers at him.

"Don't 'but, Devil' me, Forest." Mom orders dad sternly.

Dad just pouts as mom glares at him.

"Meanie." He grumbles as he crosses his arms.

Mom rolls her grey eyes. "Stop pouting."

She walks into the kitchen and dad follows her like a lost puppy.

Angel and River Hale, everyone.