Chapter 5// Alina

October
I had checked my phone before checking into work and I had seen Mark unexpectedly had texted me. He wanted to meet up today? Knowing that I work weekdays and I clearly stated that the weekends were okay as long as it didn't interfere with my mentoring program. Whatever he needed to meet up for could wait till the weekend, I didn't consider us to be best buds, I also had plenty of homework to do that didn't regard any native history. Plus we're ahead for the entire month of October considering he had games.

Mark: Do you mind if we meet today?

Me: I'm working. Can't.

Immediately he had texted back.

Mark: When do you get off?

Okay call me selfish but I needed my me time. Besides I didn't know exactly what type of relationship we had. Friends? I don't think so because once this semester is over, this partner thing between us will be  as well. I'll settle with the term acquaintances. When we're both out in public or walking past one another in the oval of the school, he seems to not acknowledge my existence. Was it because every time he was surrounded by his group, he was ashamed to be near me? I mean a simple hello couldn't hurt, however I do the same which is why I throw it under the bus. It's not important, we're not important, only our grade for the class is what matters.

Me: Look I have tons of homework tonight so if you don't mind can we just stick to the norm.

I headed inside the elementary building not caring if he texted back. It's been about a month of having Mark as an acquaintance and our professor in native history expected each set of partners to know each other very well. I personally do not feel comfortable enough letting a complete stranger know about my entire life, especially if we cant acknowledge our existence outside of the cafe or classroom.

Work was frustrating. The little eight year old girl I had couldn't concept the idea of adding double digit numbers. She counted up to the numbers perfectly fine but when it came to the actual math part she stubbornly wanted to do the draw pictures and count how many there is. Giving up and hoping to try again with her Friday I left a little early. The parents were disappointed I think in the both of us because of my method not working and their daughter being behind in class. I promised them that she'd have it down by the end of the week but she also needed to practice at home in her spare time. 

After getting off, I headed to my apartment and threw on a t-shirt and athletic shorts, I took my braid out that was braided tightly and combed it through with a wide tooth comb. I grabbed my backpack and took out my calculus homework. I actually knew what I was doing since I've gotten help from the tutor program. My quickest time ever, I finished in twenty minutes. I checked my phone to see if there was any important notifications. I scrolled past Marks and texted my sister back.

Alia: I cannot believe what had happened today. Remember that guy I dated through long distance in high school?

Me: I forgot his name.. Why?

My twin sister, Alia was completely opposite from me. We got along great growing up partly because fighting was forbidden in our home. My mom gave her the name wasabahinga meaning little bear because she was the most feistiest child. All these years of being her twin I couldn't tell if she lives up to the name or she is naturally just like that. Her qualities fit the meaning of little bear perfectly by protectiveness, competitiveness, smart, energetic, humorous, and the hidden sensitivity. The phrase opposites attract I believe is true since my sister and I are complete opposites with personalities yet we get along fairly.