Chapter Four

The next morning by 8:30 all six student volunteers in the European Wolf Conservation Project were in the hotel dining area for breakfast. Brad and David, the two guys from Alaska, chose to sit at Crissa's and Julie's table.

"Morning, girls," Brad said, hiding a yawn. "I see you have a new friend, Julie," he added, looking at Crissa and smiling."

"Yeah, this is Crissa guys. She's from . . ."

David quietly interrupted. "You gonna let her speak for herself, Julie?"

"Oh. Yeah. Sure. Crissa?"

A waitress approached the table and began pouring them all coffee.

"Well, yeah," Crissa said shyly. "I'm from BC. It's my first time on one of these."

"That's good," David said coolly. "Sometimes it's better just not knowing what you're getting into."

Crissa was perplexed but smiled bravely. "So, you're saying if I knew what this was all about . . . I wouldn't be here?"

"No. No. Not at all!" Brad said, jumping in to defuse David's alarming tone. "Don't let Mr. doom and gloom bother you with that, Crissa."

"Yeah, Crissa," Julie weighed in. "David has this . . . thing with spoiling our moods. You'll get used to it, like we have."

"Alright," she answered. "But if there's something you guys think I should know about this trip, I definitely want to know."

A slight smile formed on David's handsome face.

"Naw . . . it's cool," he said, looking at her. "I'm sorry. You seem like you could handle just about anything," he said.

"What makes you say that," she asked more pointedly, looking into his handsome face.

"Well . . . you're in great shape, for one thing."

Crissa looked down at her coffee a bit self-consciously.

"Just how do you mean that, David?" Julie asked, obviously irritated.

"As I said. She's fit. Athletic. And . . . OK . . . pretty cute too, I guess."

Now Brad was smiling, but nervously. "You're too much, Dave. Look how you've embarrassed her now."

It was true. Crissa was embarrassed. She could feel her face blushing. But she refused to let her immaturity shine through. Surprisingly, she looked back into David's alluring eyes.

"But thanks for the compliment," she said weakly and frankly. "I'm just not used to getting much of those. At least not in high school."

The honesty of her reply, stopped David in his tracks. He was obviously prepared to continue making her uncomfortable as a sort of initiation game to the group, but asa good sport, ceased.

"You're welcome," he said, nodding. "But just remember, you're out of high school now. So accept your good looks . . . and all the other strengths you might have brought along with you."

Crissa remained quiet, impressed with his change of heart and his display of sincerity. She tried not to take her eyes away from his until he finally looked away and started pouring cream into his cup.

"So, what's the plan for today, team?" Brad asked, standing and preparing to take his empty plate over the breakfast buffet. Everyone else did the same.