Chapter Fifteen

Crissa, upon hearing Brad's chilling report, ran down to Josh and Mary's Room. She didn't need to knock on the door, as they were already standing in the dark hallway with flashlights ready to go down and investigate the shouting they had heard. As Brad and Crissa followed them, Brad gave the two his previous observations that the attacked researchers were now missing from the lobby.

"Oh, Jesus," Josh said, picking up his pace as he led the way downstairs. "Wasn't the family supposed to be watching them? Jannick or Lara?"

When they all arrived in the lobby, Horst had switched on the lights and his son Jannick was standing with him near the empty sofas, the sheets which had covered Julie and David were laying on the floor.

"I tried to stop them," Horst said in a heartfelt voice. It was the howling. They were drawn to the wolves outside."

None of the observers said anything.

Finally, when Helga entered the room, visibly upset, it was Brad who asked the question of Horst. "Where is Professor Dekker? And for that matter, where is Lara?"

"The professor went out . . . When he heard the two were gone. He took his rifle."

"Oh my God," Crissa could be heard saying softly. "Do you think he'll be . . ."

"And Lara? " Brad persisted.

Both Horst and Helga looked at each other briefly.

"She is gone, as well," Jannick finally said.

"Exactly!  And you're not surprised that she is out there, are you?" Brad shouted accusingly at both her parents. "Because she is . . . one of them. Isn't she?"

"Brad!" Josh shouted. "Don't make stupid assumptions!"

"Well it's true isn't it, Jannick? Your sister is a part of this . . . curse. Isn't she?"

The young man looked at his father and then just hung his head. His mother was now seen to be softly crying.

"I think it's time we were informed about a few things here," Brad said. "Events which have become pretty obvious."

He faced the proprietor.

"Horst, don't you think it's time to let us in on what's really going on out there in this village?"

"The older man surprisingly conceded by nodding his head. He motioned with both hands that everyone should sit down. He seemed to be ready and willing to give them the information which, in everyone's mind, had been purposely concealed from them. When the young researchers were all seated on the sofas and Jannick led his mother back to the kitchen, the old man began to speak softly and calmly.

"Your Professor Dekker and I have been in contact for over three years," he stated. "I found him because of his work in the US . . . with wolves. I also chose him because of his . . . special work. He is also a historian about wolf legends. The type which affect us now. Here in eastern Germany."

Josh and Mary were seated together and both looked barely perceptibly into each other's eyes. Crissa and Brad were anticipating hearing what they had feared all along about the village and the professor's strange antics. Would this explain his inexplicable comments and behavior since they had arrived in Germany?

"You see," Horst continued, "when Lara was attacked . . . last year, I asked the professor to please come. Here to Erlightof. To see what could be done for us. To stop this . . . curse, as you call it, young man." He looked directly at Brad.