Chapter Sixty-Two

The following four days, in spite of Crissa's nervousness for Julie's possible appearance on campus, she had to go about the rigors of academic duties assigned to an undergraduate student—finalizing a research paper she was not prepared to write, and struggling through two first term exams. It was also obvious that her roommate, Trisha, due to her depressed moods and reserved demeanor during those days, had officially broke-up with her boyfriend, Robby. The relative consistent quiet in the dorm room those days, however, was broken when, Becky, the president of the campus wolf conservation group unexpectedly called Crissa that Thursday evening.

"Yes?  Oh, hello, Becky."

"Crissa. You haven't been to our last few meetings, so I just wanted to inform you of some serious developments we're currently involved with. I was hoping for your participation in an important event this week."

"Yes, Becky. I've been super busy lately. Mostly personal stuff. But I still support the club's efforts."

"Great. Well, as you may have heard, there was a wolf attack up in Alaska a few days ago . . . in Fairbanks. Something which we've been monitoring pretty closely."

"Yes?"

Crissa suddenly felt her pulse increase and a lightheadedness come over her as she recognized the very incident Becky was referring to.

"Yes, I did hear something about wolves in Alaska recently . . . you say it was an attack? "

"Yes. And well, this morning we learned that the victim . . . a professor who was studying wolves at the University of Alaska . . . has finally died of his injuries."

Crissa was silent.

"And this has caused a firestorm of hate and anti-wolf activity up there . . . and elsewhere, as the news of the professor's death continues to spread."

Crissa was galvanized by the information. Knowing that Professor Dekker had been critically injured, but that he might still survive, created different feelings than those in her now. The brief announcement produced a mixture of emotions in Crissa as she struggled to hear what it was Becky wanted from her.

"Looks like they've organized a Wolf Hunt campaign up there. To thin out the wolf population in that area. We're having a rally on campus tomorrow, Crissa. In front of the Biology building. To try and raise awareness for the protection of wolves that might be killed as a measure taken by the Alaskan authorities. We just don't want that destructive thinking to come our way. As you know, Crissa, it easily could here."

"Yes, Becky. You're right."

While it was tragic that the professor died in such an ugly manner, Crissa could still not divorce herself from her own raw feelings about the man whom she could never forgive. Could not excuse him for his cruel and irresponsible actions which led directly to David's and Julie's present and permanent ordeal.

"So, our group will be out there at noon tomorrow with banners and a sound system, letting our campus community know our message. That hunting down and killing wolves, just because we interfere with their lives and habitat, is unacceptable."

"Alright, Becky. I do have a class then, but I'll skip it to help out with the cause. I'll be there."

"Great! We could use your support, Crissa. I know that wolves are really lose to your heart."

As Crissa said good-bye, she thought that Becky's last words should have been referring more accurately to a certain wolf,  and still closer than ever  to her heart.