Chapter Sixty-Three

Crissa went to bed early that night, listening to Trisha still crying. She tried to imagine how serious her and Robby's break up could actually be, knowing something by now of her roommate's frivolous romantic escapades and the seemingly necessary attention of a males. And that sometimes included all night. It was probably true she and Robby had been together for years, but Crissa could not help but feel the girl had gotten herself into these troubled waters by her own choices and actions while away from him.

Keeping her phone close to her on the nightstand, she was hoping every hour it would ring with news from David—about his return to the Vancouver harbor. Just when she was about to drift off into a well-needed and finally undisturbed sleep, her phone did ring, just before midnight. Trisha seemed to be sleeping heavily across the room by then and Crissa answered her smartphone as quietly as she could.

"Crissy?"

"Yeah, Mom. Hi."

"You busy?"

"I'm in bed mom. Trying to sleep."

"Wow. That's pretty early for you, isn't it?"

"Not when I'm trying to survive here, mom. School has been . . . well, let's say tough."

"I'm sorry to bother you then, darling. It's just that I wanted to ask you something. Have you been up to the cabin lately?  Or anytime since you started classes a month or so ago?"

Crissa was suddenly very awake.

"Um . . . no, Mom. Why?  Why do you ask?"

"Well, your father went up there yesterday. Just to check on things. You know, to air out the place from the moisture?"

"Yeah . . ."

"And he's certain someone had broken into it. There were signs it was disturbed inside. He found deep scratches on the bedroom door and other strange signs. Blankets on the floor . . . coarse animal fur scattered around, and the window sill damaged. Like people had climbed out of it."

"Oh. Wow. Well, that's . . . terrible, Mom. Any other damage or anything?"

"Not much other than that. But it's definitely creepy to think . . .people entered it and used it for, whatever."

"Yeah, Mom. That is . . . creepy . . . like you say."

"Well the front door didn't seem broken into. Like they picked the lock. Your father just wanted me to ask if you if maybe  you were up there with some friends. Say a party, maybe?"

"No mom!  It wasn't me."

She hated lying to her parents but felt in this case, there was no other way.

"I really don't have time for parties, Mom. I'm always totally buried. Just never thought university would be so hard."

"Well, I'm sure is it, sweetie. You just give it your best. We can't ask for more."

"Right Mom. So . . . is Dad furious about this?"

"Well just more thankful that more damage wasn't done. Everything in the kitchen looked untouched. Only the bed looked slept-in and those scratches on the window and the door concerned him. He's going up tomorrow with a locksmith to secure the door and window for better protection."

Crissa could feel her head pounding with anxiety as she heard these words.

"So, is everything else alight, Crissy?"