Chapter 17

"Commence Test 218"
      The voice I had come to know so well rebounded around the room, always void of emotion or inflection.
      The room was cold, white, and plain. I knew it so well. The small bathroom stall with the white curtain, the thin white bed, and the white nightstand were all that occupied the space. Florescent lights glared from above while white tile reflected it back up. Only a white-painted vent and door were scattered over the plain walls.
      I didn't even care what the test was, I feel like I've done them all. Every single one is as destructive as the first. I hate them all. I hate the people I can't find. I hate that voice.
      "Eliminate the threat." The voice resounded, cold and dead.
      A sigh ghosted through my lips. I knew what this meant. It meant they'd put some poor animal in my room and I'd have to use the darkness to kill it. What a terrible game.
      The small hatch in the wall unlocked and swung open, shoving in the 'threat' with a stern push from a machine behind it. The 'threat' whimpered and huddled into a ball on the floor.
      I jumped up from my bed, gasping. The threat wasn't some rapid cat or little bird – it was a... person?
      The youth that now sat in a ball on my floor was... humanoid. The small girl had blue green scales over the majority of her body and a short tail that resembled an alligator's. She had extensive damage over her body, consisting of burns, cuts, and bruises were her skin was not covered in scales. And... looking at her eyes, she had been blinded.
      I quickly strode over and fell to my knees, arms reaching out to help the poor thing.
      "Eliminate the threat." The voice commanded, some authority leaking into the tone.
      "This is the threat?" I hissed, "This girl needs help!" I yelled harshly, feeling emotion for the first time in a long while.
      "The threat is not human, eliminate it." The voice commanded, dropping an octave.
      "NO." I seethed, still looking at the broken child before me. Immediately, I heard the familiar charge-up of the machines in the floor. I braced myself, keeping my tongue in the back of my mouth and my eyes shut.
      An electric current suddenly passed through the floor, shooting pain through my body and the child's in front of me.
      She cried out and focused her misty eyes towards me. She shuddered as another wave of pain was shot through us.
      "Ju-just do it!" She pleaded with a tired voice. "They w-will k-kill me anyway." She told me between shocks, cringing on the floor.
      Another stronger bolt caused both of us to cry out in pain. My head was dizzy and I couldn't withstand many more shocks. It looked like this girl was dying already, her wounds bleeding and her reptilian body deteriorating. There was no way out, for either of us.
      I raised my hand over her, whispering between shock waves.
      "I-I'm sorry." I told her. "You'll be in a better place." I whispered before allowing the energy to roll through my body and cause a burst of shadow around us. It constricted around the small thing and crushed her light out.
      "End Test 218."
      The shocks stopped.
      A sleep gas was pumped into the room.
      I never saw her again, but there were many more like her that came - all humanoid but different in some way.
      It's true when they say you become desensitized to death.
--
      "I think ________'s waking!" A voice broke through my haze.
      "Oh, shut up! Let the kid sleep." Another called harshly.
      "No, really! Come 'ere!" The voice yelled loudly, causing me to let out a groan and hiss at the loud noise. "Oh! Sorry~" Whoever it was addressed me, trying to quiet their voice. Someone had just entered the room, their footfalls light and expectant. The person stopped near the bed I laid on.
      "________?" Jeff said my name hesitantly.
      I groaned in response, rolling over restlessly. There was a slight chuckle and then the feeling of arms sliding beneath my body.
      "Hey!" I yelped, waking up immediately and beginning to struggle. Jeff set me upright so that I was sitting on the bed before embracing me in a hug. His arms tightened around my frame, encircling warmly around my waist.
      "How are you feeling?" He asked, voice sounding near my neck as he loosened the embrace. He backed off and pulled a chair over, screeching against the floor carelessly. He sat before me, hands resting on the bed I sat on. I scrunched back from his closeness, unsure after just waking up. But he felt warm and open, so I quickly relaxed.
      "Fine..." I replied quietly, my voice raspy from sleep. It was mainly true. The small cuts I had received were only dully stinging and I felt much less tired than before. There were a few beats of silence.
      "What you did... what you can do..." He started, hesitation coloring his voice like he couldn't find the words. I braced myself for any possible fear in his mind, any rejection, any sort of denial or negative energy.
      But there was none.
      Only a warm glow of understanding and relief radiated from his mind.
      "What you did... thank you." He muttered, his hands finding mine. His coarse skin rubbed against me as his thin fingers laced with my hands. I relaxed into the contact and opened my mouth to reply, smiling slightly.
      Then, I ripped my hands from his grasp and quickly lifted my fingers to my face. My fingertips met the hard surface of my mask, which was complete with new divots from burn marks and some chipped paint. I then ran my fingers down my body and the thick clothing that still covered it, trying to be discreet about my lack of sight.
      "Jeff!" I exclaimed, hands reaching out to find his shoulders. "Jeff! Thank you." I mumbled. "You held your promise." I said happily, grinning madly.
      "Of course." He replied lowly, almost sounding embarrassed. "It was difficult – you definitively owe me." Then he continued almost to himself, "_________, you know you can trust me, right?" He said nearly too quietly to hear.
      "Would you like some breakfast?" He asked more audibly, grabbing my hands from his shoulders and encouraging me to stand.
      "Sure." I replied happily, still thrilled he had listened to me. I let him pull me to my feet, bracing my body with his to stabilize my wobbly legs. I held tight till I felt steady and then allowed him to drag me out the door and down the hall.
      I stumbled after him, my socks making my slip a little on the wood flooring. He dragged me over to the kitchen and led me inside.

——————————————————————
Lil-magpie
Deviant Art