Chapter 30

"_______, you coming inside?" Jeff asked next to me, reaching out to brush his fingers on my hand. I didn't pull away like usual but leaned into the contact.
"Yeah." I responded, thinking deeply. As I began walking inside, feeling the ache of expending so much energy, I felt a presence flicker through my perception. I stiffened and turned to face the forest, focusing despite my fatigue.

"What is it?" Jeff hissed from my side, bracing for whatever I was sensing. I tilted my head and concentrated on the light in the darkness, registering it was indeed old and... powerful.
"Slenderman." I breathed before darting towards the source of the presence. It felt like he was in pain and needed help in someway. I didn't slow but pushed my speed to the max as I dashed towards his origin.
"______! Wait!" Jeff called out, trying to keep up. But his injury slowed him down and he could not match my pace. I ignored his call; I had to catch Slenderman before he teleported away again! There was no telling how far he could go at a second's notice.
As I neared the source of his mind, I slowed down and trotted into the clearing he stood in. Jeff's presence was far behind me.
"Slenderman, I'm so glad I found-" I called out only to be forcibly stopped.
My back slammed into a tree trunk, feet suddenly not touching the ground. Fear spiked through me as the cluttering sound of static filled my mind, blocking my sense of space and people. Pain erupted in my head as the noise intensified, and I felt something tight constricting around my body.
I knew it. An enraged voice seared through my mind, causing shudders of pain through my thoughts.
I croaked out through the agony, "Sl-Slender, what are you talking about? It's me... remember? I'm ______..." He didn't seem to process my words.
I knew you were working for them. I knew you were the snitch. Something thick and solid tightened around my body and twisted around my throat. They began to constrict even more, forcing my ribs to compress and muscles to spasm strangely. His voice, detached and furious, grated loudly against my mind.
I trusted you! I took you in! You're a shadow, a demon. You feel nothing for us. I wanted to tell him it wasn't true, that I was an ally. I wanted to tell him the truth, but I couldn't say a word much less breath. I felt lightheaded suddenly, unable to even call the shadows for help. The familiar fire in my gut was weak... I couldn't command the energy required to stop my own death...
How sad, I was going to die by the very being I sought to help... the very leader of what I considered 'home.'
Now they're all dead and you are responsible. How could we fight against something that knew our flaws? He continued aggressively, inflicting even more pain with his voice. He thinks they're all dead, and I have no proof otherwise! I can't even speak... Can't he feel their recovering presences like I can? Can't he read my mind and understand I'm being honest? 'They're all okay! Everyone's safe!' I thought furiously in a last ditch effort to converse with Slenderman. It didn't seem to work...
I distractedly heard a crack as pain radiated through my chest. The appendages around my chest had constricted enough to break the rib cage, pushing them into my body with feverish energy. The burning in my lungs was outweighed by the feeling of snapping in my legs... Harsh, blinding, pain slashed through my body as I heard more cracks, violent and critical. If I could scream...
It's all your fault. I barely registered his voice as my muscles went lax and head spun. I didn't even feel the increase in pain as my collarbone shattered under the pressure, breaking the skin. I didn't flinch when my jaw dislocated and my hip felt like it being sliced open. It was like I wasn't in my body... like this pain wasn't mine. I analyzed the changes in my body like they weren't my own...
The vertebrae in my neck were under immense pressure as something began to tighten and twist my throat. Sharp nerve pains flashed through my body as the bones were forced to scrape roughly together...
My thoughts were too scattered to respond, too blinded by agony.
Now it's your turn to die... His voice shredded into my mind, filled with immense sadness. I was so tired and in so much pain, I let go. I let the pain fade and my consciousness sink. I let my mind wander into the comforting embrace of deeper shadows – everlasting darkness.

——————————————————————
Lil-magpie
Deviant Art