Chapter 31

-- Jeff POV --
      "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!" I yelled when I dashed into the clearing, trying to run with the limp in my side. I quickly pulled out my knife and flung it into the mass of tentacles that held _______ up, wincing as it jarred the gash in my shoulder. It flew straight and sliced into the black mass.
      Slender looked up from his victim, black face turning to me. A deadly hiss ripped through the air, followed by him teleporting to be directly in front of me in a blind rage. I stumbled backwards, freaked out by his acute aggression and sudden burst of static in my ears. I heard a thud and saw the... terribly broken form of _________ land on the ground. I could... I could see bone... and dark blood... and...
      I tore my eyes away, feeling them fill with salty tears. I hadn't cried since becoming what I am... but my body somehow found a way in this moment.
      "How could you?" I seethed, clenching my hands into fists. Tremors ran up and down my spine and my hands itched for my knife. I was shaking with sadness and confusion. Why did he hurt ________? What was going on?
      I ran around his side, sliding into the dirt next to ________. I gently slid my hands under and pulled the limp body close, disbelieving. There was no coming back from this... no way to survive this level of damage to one's body... I leaned closer and tried to find a pulse, a signal of life. But I couldn't feel anything.
      There was... nothing.
      My fingers were quickly coated with dark blood and I could see splinters of bone sticking out the skin... I shuddered. I usually love gore and watching people bleed out... and I'm usually the one inflicting it. But in this moment, I wish we could trade places...
      Jeff? Is that you? Slenderman's voice echoed through my mind, dropping the sound of static instantly. I could tell from his voice he was confused, but I didn't care.
      "You're a monster, you know that?" I whispered, still focused on ______'s broken form. I can't believe it... I can't believe after everything... ______ is dead?
      Jeff... How did you survive? There were so many... Slender asked, deeply unsure and confused. I had never heard him so frustrated and lost. It was so strange to hear him uncertain and confused...
      "________ saved us." I mumbled. I felt more water slide down my face, stinging my eyes and burning my cuts. I grimaced as much as I could, wishing I could shut my eyes so I wouldn't have to look at this... dead thing.
      I heard Slender fall to his knees, but he wasn't my concern. I began absentmindedly talking to the thing I held in my arms, heart seeming to bleed out through my words. "Why'd you have to leave so quickly? Why'd you have to run ahead of me?" I sniffed, head bending down. "Don't leave again... we just got you back!" I felt a wave of panic as I realized ______ was gone... gone for good. "I'm sorry I didn't say it before but I... I-I I love you." I said quietly, tightening my arms and feeling warm liquid seep through my fingers.
      ___________ saved you.... All of you. I can feel it now. You're all okay... His voice was distant but it was full of new understanding, relief... and fear.
      Oh, no... No. I got it all wrong! Slender suddenly jumped to his feet, coming closer. Move. He commanded.
      "No!" I yelled, abandoning reason. "You don't deserve to be here!" I screamed, voice cracking oddly.
      Move! He commanded viciously. I might still be able to save _______.... He told me quietly, voice filling with great sadness and regret.
      I turned to Slender, trying to fight against the hope that grew in my mind. "Then do something!" I yelled, knowing there was nothing I could do. I watched him reach down and touch ______'s shoulder. I was hoping for a bright magical light or something else miracle-like to rain down. I was hoping _____ would sit up, smile, and say that everything's okay. But as soon as his hand made contact, they both vanished. ______ vanished right from my arms.... My hands fell limply to my side, suddenly feeling numb and deeply empty. They must have teleported to somewhere I couldn't see...
      I buried my face in my hands, trying to get the images out. I was alone in the forest... again. For all I knew, the one person I... loved... was dead.
I hoped Slender knew what he was doing...

——————————————————————
Lil-magpie
Deviant Art