Chapter 29

-- Reader POV --

I raised my hand, commanding the darkness to destroy...
"Commence Test 5617." I froze.
"Eliminate the threat."
That voice... that voice... I know it so well.
Eliminate the threat. Yes, I've done it so many times. So many times before. If I don't, there are painful consequences - very painful.
My ears were ringing and my perception of the land around me distorted. I felt so small, so weak, and so young. I need guidance... I turned towards the origin of the voice, trying to pin the person who was talking. I couldn't sense anything. It was a disembodied voice, blank of emotion and perception. Just like before...
"Eliminate the threat." The voice repeated. I turned away from it to face the threat. There they were, their masses huddled against the ground. Some were under nets? Some seemed to be in... pain. It would be better for them to not exist, right? Like the other beautiful creatures I had killed, they would be in less misery if they didn't exist. Right?
I concentrated, forcing the shadows to lift up and move towards the many beings scattered over the ground. They were already in pain, might as well end it for them...
I narrowed the shadows into thin splinters. It was hard to peg exactly where the threats were; my perception was scattered and hard to control. I felt like I was underwater or... very ill. Still, I had a mission and needed to complete it before the consequences began...
I heard a faint voice say something behind me, what was it...?
"It's good we blinded this one, what a great weapon." There was a chuckle. "Even thought it has taken forever to track it down, look at how improved it is!" There was a reply but I wasn't listening.
Everything came rushing back – every detail. How did they block my memories? How did they do that terrible trick? No one controls me! No one can tell me what to do! I am no one's weapon! I am no 'it' or 'subject' or 'weapon,' I'm _______!
"Eliminate the threat." The voice said again, but the sound was strained and forced. Though I felt a wave of forced cooperation flow through me, it was no longer powerful enough to cloud my mind. I could finally pin the origin of the voice. I took a second to analyze my childhood demon, the disembodied voice...
It was a human... a male. Older than most. He was just a human.
Just a little bug.
Just a little, squirming, meaningless bug.
His mind swirled with nothing interesting, just a cold determination and authoritative presence. The others around him were similar. Who were they? What did they want? What did they want weapons for?
Then...
I decided I didn't really care.
They didn't see it coming. I don't think they even felt it...
What a shame.
All their bodies were sliced clean through by onyx shards of shadow. They all fell in unison, music to my ears. Their bodies littered the ground, their machines shattered by crushing darkness, their presences eliminated. A sick grin twitched on my lips at the feeling. This wasn't a dream, they were all dead... all gone.
I focused on the living presences nearer to the house that were slowly getting up from the ground. They were getting nets off and digging bullets from their flesh.
I felt the telltale thudding of feet as someone ran up to me. I took a step back, bracing as a figure plowed into me and wrapped their arms around my waist. I stumbled back, reaching out warily to return the embrace.
"I k-knew you'd come!" Jeff mumbled into my shoulder, leaning into me. Fine tremors were running up and down his body. I felt something warm and slick seep into my clothing. There was a scent of iron and salt in the air.
"Of course-" I started to reply but was cut off.
"I'm so so so sorry! ______, I'm so sorry! I had no i-idea, I d-didn't know about-" He paused, breathing rapidly. "I'm sorry! Please, _______, p-please forgive or... something!" Jeff cried into my hoodie, shaking with emotion or pain I couldn't tell. "Don't l-leave, please don't leave." He mumbled, calming slightly.
I tightening my arms around him, wishing I could see his face.
"I won't. I promise I won't leave again..." I told him warmly. "I'm not going anywhere." I whispered.
Jeff untangled himself from my embrace, leaning back to look at my face – which was still masked. "It doesn't matter, I don't care you can't read... can't see... I don't care you're marked by your past..." He told me spontaneously, shocked into honesty. "______, I didn't realize before, but I... I..." He stuttered, trying to get the last word out. I was confused by the strange glowing emotion that was blooming in Jeff's mind. I had felt it before from him, but couldn't identify it...
"Hey! ________!" Someone called, I turned my head to show them I was listening. "Clutch save, am I right?" BEN yelled from across the yard, helping someone get up.
"BEN, help me get the injury supplies." Hoodie grumbled out near the house. He turned to me hesitantly, "Thanks ____..." He mumbled before slipping through the front door.
"Where's Slender?" A little girl's voice chimed.
"He left us..." Jeff muttered, further detaching from me and turning towards the others. "I saw him teleport out after something injured him."
"Well, we have to find him." Masky responded seriously though I could hear pain in his tone, turning to me. "Can you tell where he is?"
"Give me a sec..." I replied, focusing on the presences around me. I expanded my perception, trying to find the ancient and powerful aura of Slenderman. However, there was nothing of the sort. I couldn't find him. "I'm sorry, I can't seem to find him..." I told them, concerned Slenderman left mid-fight.
"That's not good." Eyeless Jack muttered from near the front door. "Keep a lookout for him, would you?" He asked.
"Sure thing." I responded.
"We need to get healed up, everyone inside." He called, heading into the house. Everyone's presences got up and moved to get inside. I could feel the pain radiating from their minds and the stress in their thoughts. A wave of guilt fell over me as I realized I should have been here when they came... the demons of my past. I shouldn't have ran away like a coward, I should've stood my ground-
"_______, you coming inside?" Jeff asked next to me, reaching out to brush his fingers on my hand. I didn't pull away like usual but leaned into the contact.
"Yeah." I responded, thinking deeply. As I began walking inside, feeling the ache of expending so much energy, I felt a presence flicker through my perception. I stiffened and turned to face the forest, focusing despite my fatigue.

——————————————————————
Lil-magpie
Deviant Art