Chapter 32

There was an acute pressure on my upper back, right between the shoulder blades. I shifted to make it go away. It just came back and pressed harder before backing off again. I tensed my muscles, disturbed and annoyed by the pressure. The pinpoint force suddenly shoved into my spine with renewed energy.
A threatening growl ripped from my throat while I attempted to jump up and forcibly remove the pressure. I yelped strangely as I moved, stiffening in a sudden wave of pain. I fell back onto the soft object beneath me, shaking with aftershocks of physical stress. My hands gripped the fabric beneath me in sudden desperation, grounding myself as I tried to understand the discomfort. Everything was sore and... weak. It felt like I had been dragged over rocks for days... or electrocuted for a long time. It felt like my body hadn't been used for months. What was going on?
"You're alive!" A voice said close to my side, happy and light. The same pinpoint pressure returned, pushing into my shoulder playfully.
"Don't touch me." I spit out viciously before truly registering the person's words... "Alive?" I repeated, confusion in my voice. I opened my eyelids and saw... nothing. Everything was as dark as it always had been.
"Yeah, Jeff said you were gonnnne." The person continued, elongating the last word obnoxiously. Memories began to come back at the mention of that name... warmth, voices, comforting feelings, touch...
"Where is he?" I asked, forcing my body to get into an upright position. I gasped and my hand flew to my chest, feeling slivers of pain shoot through my body. I swung my legs over the side of the bed I was on, ignoring the restraining hand that had come to push on my shoulder.
"You should really stay down." The voice told me, getting more serious. "You're still healing..." He told me, anxiety entering his tone. I didn't process the meaning of the words, more concerned with other problems.
"Where is Jeff?" I asked with more volume. I felt anxious and alone, though I wasn't sure why... why did I feel this way? Why did I need to find this 'Jeff' person? Before I could try and drudge up old memories, I heard footsteps enter the room. My head swiveled to hear the incoming sound better, trying to determine who it was. The sound stopped next to the bed, very close. I fought a sudden wave of nervousness.
__________. You need to rest. Your soul is still rebinding to your body and...
I stiffened as I heard the voice, knowing it from somewhere... somewhere I did not remember enjoying. I hesitantly opened my perception, somehow recalling how to use this strange sense. I was met with a wall of energy, an aura of ancient power and presence.
A memory suddenly crystallized in my mind, loud and clear. Without further thought, I jumped up from the bed and bolted for the door. My bare feet hit the ground running, ignoring the agonizing stings of pain that triggered with every movement. I felt wind flow past my bare legs, arms, and face. I idly remembered that I usually covered those up for some reason...
Wait! The voice called after me. I refused to stop.
The majority of my consciousness just knew I had to get away from that aura, that being. All I wanted was to get as far as possible from that thing and hope it didn't catch me... again.
The memory kept replaying in my mind... bones snapping, skin splitting, agony... I had to get away!
Now that my perception was open, I was overloaded with sense. Every wing beat of a moth registered in my head. Every feeling of the rabbit in the yard, the bird on the sill, the mice in the basement... was felt. Every emotion in the people around me solidified in my head, brimming over with confusing meshes of thought and awareness. I struggled to run straight, shrouded in a fog of perception that I was unable to cap. I turned a corner, shoulder brushing against the wall in my current state. I felt a breeze in front of me as a door opened. I cringed internally as I heard the screeching of the hinges and turning of the handle. It was all so very loud...
I ran towards the opening, believing I'd find safety in being outside. Before I made it, I heard something drop. I heard plastic hit the ground, followed by a chorus of metal thudding dully against the floor. It sounded like cans of liquid... like soup or something. The plastic crinkled and bent as the supplies rolled over the hardwood floor. I skidded to the stop; suddenly conscious there was a presence in the open doorway.
"__________?"
The emotion of surprise and something else positive emitted from the figure as my name was said. I felt warmth flow over my mind and a wonderful sense of security at the sound. Without much consideration, I launched off the floor again and plowed into the figure. I wrapped my arms around them and held them close, feeling a sense of ease run through my limbs and the pain numb greatly. The person quickly returned the embrace, tightening their arms around my waist. Warm breath ghosted over the skin of my neck, convincing me to take a deep breath too.
As I relaxed, other memories began slowly filtering back into my consciousness. I felt, more than saw, the incoming memories... the sound of crackling fire, the sense of impending demise, and the disembodied voice of my past... they kept spilling in as I struggled to put them in the correct order.
I felt the ominous and dangerous presence of the scary being approach from behind me, footfalls nearly soundless. I still couldn't place the creature in my memories other than the immense pain and darkness it had caused. I whirled, quickly falling into a half crouch in front of the comforting person named Jeff. I don't know what my face looked like, but I felt the ends of my lips turn down and air flow past my exposed teeth. All I was thinking about was defending Jeff from a known aggressor. I didn't even consider running anymore; all I wanted was to prevent Jeff from feeling whatever I had felt before dropping into that enclosing darkness...
The being stopped in front of us and his aura shrunk, pulled inwards to appear less intimidating. Jeff's arms wrapped around my waist from behind me, ignoring my defensive posture and pulling me back to my full height. Pain shot through my insides as his grip pushed on my ribcage to bring me up. I bit my tongue to suppress the yelp.
________, I'm very... sorry... for what I did to you. A deep voice filled my mind, gentle and calming. Please understand it was a misguided action... I never wanted to hurt you. The being took a step forward and seemed to lower his body to my height. His mind was open and exhibiting an apologetic tone, sincere in every aspect. I was in a dark place and confused about who was the enemy. Please understand and forget. You are healing now and soon you'll be... mostly... back to your original self. He explained slowly, further helping me calm down.
More memories rushed back. The woods... the deal to become... a proxy? Memories came in a rush, showing moments of knife fighting, pranks, laughing at some joke, video games, late night dinners, and an overall glow of, dare I say, happiness?
The last of the tension left my muscles and I leaned back into Jeff, assured everything was okay. I shivered as I felt the reassuring touch of Jeff's hand running up my bare arm, catching slightly on the shallow divots left by scarring wounds. I was still coming to grips with that memory... that memory of snapping and suffocation and... darkness...
"I'm sorry I ran. I... um... forgot who you were..." I said slowly, trying to talk around my dry throat. "Did... um, did I... die?" I asked hesitantly, not fully understanding my memory. The last thing I recalled was giving up, literally surrendering to unconsciousness...
In a way... yes. He told me, voice quieting. Your soul departed from your body, but it hung around. I was able to rebind it to your body and mend the worst of your wounds. I am, again, very sorry for my actions. I don't think I'll ever be able to make up for it...
A small sigh escaped my lips. "It's not like I don't already have scars."
"______, you should really get some rest..." Jeff's voice came from my left, speaking from behind me.
"Mm'kay." I responded, glad to let him dictate the next steps. In truth, I felt very tired. Sure, I had just run around... but that was mainly from an adrenaline rush. Now, I wanted nothing more than to relax and heal the remaining pain from my body.
"Come this way." Jeff told me, smile growing in his voice. His mind was open with contentment, happiness, and a general sense of relief. His hold on me switched so one arm looped around my back and the other braced under my legs. He lifted my frame and walked slowly back to our room.
I let him pick me up, grateful to avoid another painful step. His touch and the concern ebbing from his mind calmed me, numbing the residual pain I felt. I snuggled closer, pulling my arms tightly around his neck. A deep breath left my chest. I felt myself slipping into the world of the unconscious, teetering further from reality. I felt something soft sink beneath me as I was set down. With the remainder of my awareness, I grabbed Jeff's arms and pulled him onto the bed with me. He easily lay next to me, wrapping his arms around my middle.
Whether due to his comforting warmth, open presence, or content mind... I was convinced to say something – anything. I didn't think much before a "Love you..." slipped from my lips wearily. I tugged myself a little closer to him, ignoring the instant shock emitting from his mind, and let myself fall into sleep. But instead of endless darkness, I had dreams... and for once they weren't the nightmares of my past.

——————————————————————
Lil-magpie
Deviant Art