2- The Crazy's Not Crazy

Oswald and Gus emerged into chaos. Toons rushed around, searching for their loved ones, while firefighters scrambled to find a way into the collapsed abandoned mine. The Rabbit shoved his way through the crowd, until he reached the entrance of the mine.

"Oh, Walt Disney, please no..." Oswald looked upon a dozen or so, firefighters, police officers, and the entire search and rescue squad. Nothing this bad has happened since the thinner disaster. Wasteland very seldom brought out their search and rescue team.

The City of Wasteland was damaged, yes, but still repairable. The city, which had found that they are stronger together after the attack of the blobs, would hold their faith to their mighty king, who would, indeed, help them rebuild the place to its former glory. The mines, however, were gone. Oswald hoped, and hoped that one day, that ancient projector screen deep down, would light up, and his old friend would come back, just like he used to.

He was called crazy, and hell, maybe he was, but he remembered something, something so real, that no one else did. After coming back from the clutches of Universal Studios, Oswald was distressed to find that the once beautiful and prospering mines underneath Wasteland had been shut down for an unknown reason.

He was even more distressed to find that no one could possibly remember his friend that once made headlines in the real world. So Ozzy refused to fill and seal that mine, in hopes that one day, he'd finally believe in himself, rather than what the toons say.

And look at what Oswald's foolish fantasy did.

"Is- Is anyone hurt?" Oswald asked anyone who would listen. He was only met with sad looks, and silence. Guilt fill up his chest, like water in a bucket.

A young firefighter apprentice took her hat off, and held it close to her chest.

"There were-"

The lump in Oswald's throat was unmistakeable. This was his fault.

"There were three kids in the mine..."

"Oh." Oswalds voice cracked. Why'd it have to be kids.

The rabbit forcefully swallowed his emotions, and stood up taller. Wasteland needed a king, and walt-dammit they were getting a king.

The apprentice sniffled, wiping her very visible tears away with her paw.

"They were my friends." She croaked.

"Are, are we certain that they truly are..." Oswald let the girl finish his sentence.

"There's no way in," She whimpered, "Even if they weren't crushed to...you know...they're probably breathing in dust, and oxygen will run out..."

No way in, huh?

"Wait, wait, hold on, there might be!" Oswald giddily hopped onto a large rock.

"Everybody, listen up!" The loud talking of the crowd quieted.

"We have three kids stuck in that mine," Oswald pointed at the rubble where the entrance once stood, "Three kids who could still be alive, and need our help!"

The crowd immediately lightened up, and relief spread through the murmurs.

"Not only that, but a guard, who tried to warn us about the impending earthquake, and I believe he deserves our help too, yeah?" Oswald spoke louder and louder with each word, and the crowd cheered.

"We need all hands on deck to help save these kids, the guard, and whoever else might be trapped down there!"

There was a loud cheer of agreement from the toons.