26- Mourn The Forgiven

Oswald's head buzzed as soon as he stepped through the projector screen. He held Ortensia's body tightly against his body, as if that would suppress the anticipation, bubbling in his stomach.

Ortensia

Ortensia

Ortensia

The rabbit mindlessly followed Sammy Lawrence, who kept glancing around corners, and in doorways, before entering rooms, his paranoia clear as the day Oswald's wife died.

Ortensia

Ortensia

Her name invaded any rational thought in Oswald's head like a plague, and if he—even for a mere second—second-guessed his choice, his thoughts snapped back to the reason he was here.

Oswald's head was spinning. Or was it vibrating? Shaking? He didn't know. He was having a million thoughts, and at the same time, he was having none at all.

Everything and nothing.

The rabbit, disoriented with grief, didn't see the traces of the toons trapped a few floors below him.

• • •

Mickey's heart was pounding against his sternum, and he wondered if the other toons could hear it too, as they all slowed to stop, catching their breath.

"W-where were you?!" Gus asked the Butcher Gang, who all looked at each other with wide eyes, before answering.

"Searchers appeared. They closed the door behind you guys, and attacked us." Charley stated quickly, as if there was a verbal period at the end of his sentences.

"You said—"Mickey began protesting, but he realized he had nothing to protest with,"—I don't...ugh."

Mickey groaned, and tried to take the lead, but as soon as he took a step forward, Charley was already in front, flashing Mickey a near-toothless smile that sent a surge of energy down the mouse's spine.

He didn't trust Charley.

• • •

"Throw her in." Sammy demanded, and Oswald could hear past his smooth voice, which gave him a cool, collected facade. He sounded desperate.

"What? Just—throw her in?!" Oswald exclaimed, and peered into an opening on top of the machine. The Rabbit, though distracted by his thoughts, vaguely remembered climbing up some creaky metal stairs to reach the roof of the machine, once they entered an adequately lit room.

Inside the opening, the ink stirred around, as if it was alive. It made Oswald sick.

"No-no! No way!" Oswald came to his senses, "What am I doing here? You're crazy!"

"No, no, no! I'm not, just—Look, she's not going to come back unless you do this sacred deed!" Sammy pleaded.

"Why are you talking like that-Why do you even care?!" Oswald clutched Ortensia closer to him, because Sammy seemed ready to snatch her corpse, and throw her into the machine himself.

"Because," Sammy paused, and Oswald wished he could see the expression behind the worn Bendy mask, "This is a once in a lifetime chance. A chance to do the impossible. Are you willing to waste it, and spend the rest of your life living like a lost one? Wandering in the murky waters of regret, until he frees your soul?"

"I-No, but Bendy-" The lucky rabbit protested.

"Ah. Has my lord spoken to thee? My-he has!" Sammy leaned closer to the rabbit, reading his face.