8. Before

Unedited
8. Before- Sixteen

River

"You hooked up with my brother?!" Kenzie screeches from across the tiny table at the diner. We are talking over shared fries and coffee with too much sugar.

I wasn't going to tell her about the party. I tried to put it to the back of mind and wait to completely forget about the way his lips seemed to fit perfectly with mine, the way his touch made me come alive for the first time ever, the way I was able to find words to say to him.

It shouldn't have been magic, in that random bedroom of a random house, but it was.

It's hard keeping secrets from the person who knows everything. Mackenzie knows about my dad, about my family, about why I sometimes disappear only to reappear quieter.

As soon as she sat down across from me with her pretty green eyes that looked so trusting, I had to tell her. That's what best friends are for.

"I'm sorry," I barely squeak out the words after shushing her and looking around the diner to make sure no one heard. Luckily, we were seated in the back corner of the restaurant where no one else seems to be. Miss. Mary always seems to know when privacy is needed.

I see her smile at us quickly before retreating back into the kitchen. I'm sure she will ask if everything is okay with me once she can get me alone.

"Don't be sorry. I'm just surprised. You've never even looked at Colt twice," she says shoving a few fries into her mouth. I do the same hoping the food will give me time to think of what to say. I've noticed Colt way too, looked at him way more than twice, but I don't know if I should admit that or not.

It's hard not to notice Colton Sawyer. Tall, beautiful in a way guys aren't normally, strong, dimpled smile. Nice. So nice. A humble baseball star.

Ken smirks like she can read my mind, "you've noticed him."

I nod.

"It's fine. I'm more worried about you. Colt doesn't do relationships. He's too focused on baseball. I don't want you to get hurt." Kenzie reaches across the table to pat my hand reassuringly. She is always the one in control and taking care of every situation that might come up. I doubt she ever thought this would be a situation.

I'm still unsure of why Colton decided I was good enough. I'm nothing. Normal hair, typical dark blue eyes, pale, too thin, too tall. Too weird. I wonder if that is what's going through Kenzie's mind.

"I know. I don't expect anything." I tell her honestly. I've only felt guilty because I haven't told Mackenzie. Now I can hopefully put this out of my mind, for good.

She doesn't say anything and I hope she isn't reading more into this than there is. I don't want a fight between Colton and Mackenzie over me, and I know Kenzie will fight for me if she feels like I'm being mistreated.

"Seriously," I say and call over the waitress to order chocolate milkshakes. Hoping to show her how completely fine I am.

Our milkshakes arrive with another addition. Colton Sawyer saunters up to our table and sits next to Kenzie right across from me. Eye to eye again and I duck my head hoping to avoid an embarrassing blush. I can already feel the heat traveling up my face.

"Oh God," Kenzie mutters under her breath and then gives me a nice glare. She is telling me everything she wants me to know through this look. I almost come up with some sort of excuse and rush out of there.

"Hey," Colt says stealing a fry and dipping it into my milkshake. He smiles as he eats and then looks between us. "You guys okay? Seems tense over here."

"She was just telling me about your eventful night," Kenzie says and I kick her under the table. At least I thought it was her.

"Ouch," Colton says looking at me with an amused expression. "I'm assuming that was for my sister."

I don't say anything. I feel a rush of nervousness and energy that I need to get out. I'm claustrophobic sitting at this table across from the two of them.

"It's fine. Right, Vi?" Colton asks.

"Yeah, fine." I say, "I have to get home. I need to study for that science test. Talk to you later." I rush out of the diner before either of them can say another word to me. I don't like how I feel around Colt. Like my insides are twisted and my brain is mush.

I lay on my bed later that night, a text book open but I'm not paying any attention to it. I'm trying to numb myself with ice cream and reality TV but nothing is working.

Then my phone buzzes with a number I don't know.

It's Colt.

Then it's ringing.

"Hello?" I answer quietly so I don't disturb my dad who's resting in the living room not too far from my bedroom.

"River?"

"Yeah," I say wondering why he's making sure it's me when he's the one that called.

"Sorry," he laughs. "I stole your number from Kenzie. I wanted to make sure I remember the numbers right."

"Why'd you do that?"

"You left in a rush. I wanted to make sure you were okay." I can hear him moving around. I think I hear a door close.

"I'm fine. Totally fine." I can hear how weird my voice sounds. Too high pitched and small.

He chuckles, "okay, Vi. I don't want you to think I used you or anything. I had fun the other night. You're different."

"I know." I say and feel my cheeks flame once again.

"In a good way."

"Well, that I didn't know." Colton laughs again and I try to record it in my mind. I try to remember all of this.

The weight of the phone in my hand, the feel of my sheets cool underneath my bare legs, his deep rumble of a laugh, the vibrations of his voice. I want to remember everything about everything.

I know I'm only hurting myself by wanting this so badly and by pretending I don't.

Then I hear glass shatter and my dad's loud voice and I quickly hang up.

And I remember how my problems are too big for this tiny town and my dreams aren't going anywhere. I have to focus.

***

How are you guys liking the story?

Do you enjoy all of the flashbacks as well as the present?

Thank you for reading!

-Brooke