15. Before

Unedited 

15. Seventeen

Colt

It wasn't supposed to happen this way. One second we were running, the blue lights flashing in the background as we ran and laughed. It wasn't supposed to end with us sitting in the cold hospital waiting room.

We were having fun. For once we were only worried about ourselves. Not baseball, not families, just the two of us falling in love under a thick blanket of stars. I wanted so badly to go back only an hour ago when our biggest fear was if we were going to be put in a cell or not. 

River was sitting in the black plastic chair next to me, her head resting in her hands. Her mom had come and gone multiple times. She was a nurse working when you dad and her husband was wheeled through bleeding from his head. 

I don't know if Vi's mom saw him first or if someone called her. I hope that she didn't have to see that. I would never wish that on anyone. River's mom didn't know much at this point, except that it wasn't looking so good. If Vi's dad made it he would have severe brain damage.

I took River's hand in my own and tried to soothe her in anyway I could. I didn't know what to do honestly. River was frozen solid. I couldn't move her or speak to her. I didn't know how to communicate with a statue. 

Her mom walked back out, tears streaming down her face, shaking her head back and forth. 

"No," Vi could barely forced the word out. I couldn't be strong for Vi and her mom because watching this whole thing unfold was too much for me. I wanted to run again, I wanted to run right back to that field with the cops and the stars and never bring you here. We should have run away and never looked back.

"I'm sorry, baby." River's mom was talking through her sobs. They crumbled on the floor of the waiting room together and I stood there and watch. My mind blank. 

"How?" Vi asked. They were sitting huddled together on the floor. The nurses were watching from the information desk. I wanted to shield them from everyone's wandering eyes. 

Her mom took in a shaky breath, "he killed himself, River. He couldn't do it anymore." 

My whole body froze. I understood why and how Vi could be a statue then. I couldn't move, my heart stopped, my blood boiled. How could he choose to leave his little family behind. How could he? I was so mad. I couldn't see anything but heat and flames. I wanted to hurt him or hurting his family, but that was such a stupid way to think. He was gone and they were hurting, and there was nothing I could do. 

"Let me take you two home," I finally was able to form words. River looked at me like she forgot I've been with her this whole time. 

"Who are you?" Vi's mom asked standing up on shaky legs. 

"My boyfriend Colt." 

"Your boyfriend?" her mom looked so confused by Vi's confession and I was almost annoyed that she never mentioned me. Her dad met me but her mom was always working when I would come over, which wasn't often. 

"Denise," her mom answered.  I nodded and lead them towards my car. They both sat in the back, wrapped up in each other. We drove silently to their house and I hoped that he didn't kill himself there.

River must have heard my thoughts because she said, "where did he do it?" 

"Behind a shopping center in town. Someone heard the gun shot and called the police. He was bleeding so badly. I just can't believe this. He seemed okay right? Didn't he seem okay?" Her mom asked desperately. But I knew River couldn't answer. We were together most of the day and night. She didn't go home like she normally would have to check on him.

"I don't know," Vi said. 

I dropped them off and her mom walked ahead. I grabbed Vi's arm and pulled her to me. "I'm so sorry," I said kissing the top of her head. She cried into my chest for a few minutes. 

"Stay," River mumbled into my shirt. "Please, Colt."

I nodded because how could I possibly say no to her right now. We walked into her house. The quiet was startling, her mom already tucked inside her room. River led me to her bedroom and closed the door quietly behind us. 

"Vi," I said but she cut me off with her mouth. She was kissing me hard, arms wrapped around my neck. I held her tightly and kissed her until she started leading us back towards the bed.

"Not tonight," I said. "Let's just sleep. Okay, babe?" 

She shook her head and let the tears fall, "why would he do this?" I didn't have an answer for her. I wanted to tell her something to make this pain go away but I couldn't figure out the words. I suddenly knew how River felt when she would want to say something but just couldn't. 

I wrapped her tightly in my arms and rubbed my fingers across her back. I wanted her to sleep. I wanted her to forget everything for a few minutes. I wanted to freeze time right there because I didn't realize that we might never be the same from that point on.

"I love you," I said.

Vi looked at me, her eyes red and puffy from crying, "I love you too." 

I thought that that would be our beginning. I never imagined it would be our ending.