Chapter Six

For SkyDancer11:“I told you I would update today!” – Abbie xxx

Chapter Six

Something terrible was going to happen today. I could smell it. It was like this feeling was surrounding me and filling me up with dread. It was slowly suffocating me and I couldn’t shake the feeling all day.

The day started off normal. Me waking up late, throwing clothes on and running to school, comments met my ears about being a witch and me hanging me head in shame. I may have been an Alpha’s daughter but I sure didn’t act like it! I shuffled from one class to the other until the end of the day. The feeling was still there and as the hours ticked by I felt in consuming my every being! What was happening to me? I had had this feeling before, the day of my 13th birthday, the day I should have shifted. When a she-wolf hits 13 they shift into a wolf but I never did. I had always wondered why but every time I had tried to ask my parents they seem to brush it off and move onto a different subject.

When I arrived home my mother was in the kitchen like normal and I didn’t stay for her to lecture me about manners and me walking out on our visitor yesterday. This morning I had questioned her on why she was so willing to let me go with a stranger, who may I add could have taken advantage of me if I had gone, and she replied that she knew the man very well and also she knew why he was there. I soon left before an argument was started.

“Don’t think I have forgotten Iris,” my mother shouted after my retreating back. “I won’t let you talk to people like that!” She shouted up.

“Okay,” I muttered before taking hiding in my room. I shifted through piles of homework before dinner and then I took a shower. The feeling was getting worse. It was eating away at me.

“Iris,” Carrie, my ten year old sister came bursting through my door. “Are you okay?” she jumped onto my bed.

“I am fine,” I muttered rubbing my banging head.

“But your head is hurting again and only bad things happen then your head hurts,” she glanced at my head.

“I am fine Carrie! Stop fussing,” I muttered closing my eyes.

“Fine I won’t bother next time,” Carrie huffed storming from room. I winced as she slammed the door before curling up in till a ball and falling asleep.

“Why is there death, Nanny?” I asked as my Granddad placed my favourite cat into the ground.

“Death is a part of Life sweetheart,” Nanny soothed.

“You know Iris,” my Granddad said drawing my attention to his wrinkled face. “I read somewhere, that, the reason why death sticks so closely to life isn’t biological necessity; it’s envy. Life is so very beautiful that death has fallen deeply in love with it, a jealous, possessive love that grabs at what it can.”

The memory came back to me in flashes on colour as I dreamt of that day. I had had the feeling then and my Nan had believed me and sat with me while I cried my eyes out.

“But it hurts Grandpa,” I cried.

“You know when someone you love dies, it is okay because they become a memory and you know that is the greatest treasure of all little one!” he hugged me. “You’ll understand one day,” He sighed.

“Iris wake up” a panicked voice entered my dreams shaking at my sleeping form.

“What?” I muttered trying to bury myself deeper into my sheets.