Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

Iris’s POV

Bang!

The door to the beds flew open, the light from the hall flooded in as I sat up startled. Who was there? I stifled a scream as I looked at the towering silhouette in the door way.

“Shit,” the gruff voice whispered. “Iris?” the voice switched on the light as my fear reached boiling point. “Oh fuck,” Robbie muttered looked at my paled face. “I didn’t mean to scare you,” he hung his head in shame. “This week isn’t turning out how I planned,” he chuckled bitterly.

“Its fine,” I clutched my racing heart, trying to take deep breaths to keep the panic attack at bay.   

“Look Iris,” he walked over to the bed and sat on the edge. “About early...”

“Its fine,” I cut in. “I shouldn’t have pushed you, I get that now,” I sighed looking at the white bed sheets. “You don’t know me well enough to trust me yet, I understand” I gave a small smile.

“No it’s not that,” he sighed. “I just it’s still a little raw,” he starched the back of his head. “What do you know of werewolf mates?” he asked turning to me fully.

“That you can chose one at 18 and they are like your husband/ wife,” I shrugged not really understanding where this was going.

“What about soul mates?” he asked gently.

I couldn’t stop the chuckled from forming. “Well if you believe in that kind of thing,” I laughed. “It just something people say to people after a break up,” I sobered up. “You know,” I shrugged. “Oh he was a jerk but he wasn’t your soul mate, you might have loved him but wait until you find your soul mate,” I mocked. “It just some teenaged fantasy women have made up to make them feel better about being dumped.”

Robbie chuckled. “You have a very close minded view,” he smiled. “But I disagree,” He looked me dead in the eye.

“How so?”

“Well,” He gave a sad smile. “Werewolves have soul mates, they are rare and you know they by the way your wolf reacts to the sight of them,” he frowned thinking of how to describe it to me. “They yet all yappy and silly, kind of,” He shrugged. “I don’t know how to explain it,”

“Right...” I narrowed my black eyes at him.

“Well unlike what you read in stories, you don’t get the spark or the rush of love,” He went on. “There no such thing as love at first sight,”

“Wrong,” I shook my head.

“Sorry?” he smiled.

“Well when a mother looks at her baby for the first time, what does she feel? Love. Surly that is the real Love at first sight? Granted not everyone feels loves towards their children,”

“Nice theory,” he smiled. “Anyway,” he gave me a grin. “There are such things as soul mates,” he looked me in the eyes. A small part of me wished that I was his but the idea came crashing down with his next sentence. “I had one,” He gave me a sad smile.

My face fell. “What do you mean?” I couldn’t help but feel a little hurt, he had been kind of leading me on all this time and he had a soul mate. What was this weekend even about? Disgust suddenly filled me up but I tried to keep a straight face.

“Yeah,” he picked the hem of the blanket. “It was back in Venice I met her,” His voice was heavy as he recalled the past. “Her name was Aletta and she was beautiful,” he said sadly looking up to meet my eyes. “I’m not telling you...,” he tried to explain.