Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven:

Iris’s POV

I swirled the pasta around me fork before shoving it my mouth.

“This is really good,” I commented swallowing the creamy pasta.

“Thanks,” Robbie nodded. The kitchen was filled with the smells of Italy, with garlic bread and rich pasta. Robbie had made us Fettuccine Alfredo tossed with a parmesan-Reggiano and freshly baked garlic bread. I loved any types of pasta but I had now found my favourite. I smiled to myself as I filled my face.

“Where did you learn to cook this?” I asked finishing my food.

“I lived in Italy for a few years. I only came back last year in fact,” He said something swimming in his eyes as I gazed at him under my lashes. I didn’t think it was as simple as him just living in Italy for one year, there was something more than that, with the faraway look in his eyes.

“Did you meet any interesting faces?” I smiled leaning forwards to show I was interested as my heart banged against my ribs.

“Yeah,” he ate some more. “A few,” he looked at his plate.

“Oh,” I smiled. “I feel like you are keeping something from me,” I grinned. “I feel like there is woman involved in this story,” his head snapped up and he met my gaze.

“Why would you say that?” his eyes narrowed. “Has Eliza been telling you things?”

“Err... no?” I raised an eyebrow. “Should she have?” He looked away.

“There was a girl,” he muttered not looking at me.

“I bloody knew it,” I pointed at him but I couldn’t help but feel a little disheartened. That had been a rumour last year that there wasn’t gonna be an Unmated Ball because the Robert had chosen a Mate. “Tell me more,” I grinned as he puzzled at me.

“She was a human girl,” he shrugged. “I loved her but she didn’t me, end of story,” he picked up our plates and put them in the sink.

“It has to be more than that,” I said softly.  

“She was just a girl I met in Italy Iris, I fell in love and she broke my heart there is nothing more to it,” he snapped storming from the kitchen.

 I frowned. “Robbie,” I called after him. “I didn’t mean to upset you,” I followed him outside into the back yard of the cottage.

The garden was overgrown with flowers of every colour. Herbs sprung from pots along the cobbled path filling the air with their smells. I would have taken time to wonder around and enjoy the fresh crisp night but Robbie’s retreating back made me hurry to catch up with him.

“Robert,” I shouted but he didn’t reply as he disappeared out of the garden gate into the forest. I sighed, I wasn’t gonna follow him into the forest at night. I wondered back to the cottage with my heart heavy and disappointed.

Robbie still hadn’t returned an hour later so I decided that I would just go to sleep and deal with him in the morning. I didn’t need drama; I had, had enough of that for a life time in these past few days. Regret started to sink in. I wished I had never come on this stupid holiday thing that Robbie wanted me to go on. I wish I had put my foot down and said no. My thoughts all swirled around in my head until I finally fell into a deep sleep.

Robert’s POV

My vision started to blur as I took in the empty spaces next to me, on both sides. I undid my sliver tie throwing across the flagged stone floor sighing deeply through my nose. I wouldn’t show my pain here not in front of everyone. I stumbled past rows of my family and friends. Why had I done this?