Chapter Twenty-Five

Chapter Twenty-Five

Iris’s POV

I watched as Cain’s eyes fluttered closed as he lay on my bed. I had discovered that he had not slept in a week and for some reasons that concerned me.

“Robbie is not gonna like this,” Poppy muttered to herself glancing worriedly towards the sleeping form.

“Well tough,” I brushed the golden locks from Cain’s forehead. Pity washed over me as I gazed at the exhausted form. I wanted to know what he looked like when he was well, right now there was a shadow over his chin were stubble had started to grow, purple almost like bruises sat under his eyes and his face was sunken and hallow. He needed fatting up, I thought.

“Iris, there is a stranger,” she paused pulling at her chestnut hair. “A man, no less, sleeping in your bed!”  She sounded stressed

“And?”

“And he’s not your mate, he is not Robbie”

“Robbie doesn’t own me.”

“No but he will and if he find out about this...”

“No man will ever own me.” I snapped anger boiling inside me.

“A mate’s mark means no other man can touch you!”

“Yeah but he hasn’t marked me,” I pointed out. “And Cain is not in my bed for that,” I was shocked that she even thinking that.

“I know he’s not but if Robbie...”

“Then don’t tell him,” Harper interrupted. “Here I brought him some of Sam’s old clothes.” She handed me a pair of faded blue jeans and a white t-shirt.

“Thanks,” I smiled over at her but instead of her uttering a reply I watched her study Cain. Her face was blank as I watched her take in his features, something swimming in her eyes before she glanced back at me.

She blushed, clearing her throat. “Is there anything I can help you with?” she brushed her golden hair one side – a habit she only did when she was nervous. I frowned.

Cain’s POV

I was woken by light finger tips brushing my hair before gliding down my nose and brushing my bottom lip. My eyes fluttered open at the feathery touch and I held the gaze of the person. Their eyes were cerulean – almost sky blue but slightly dimmer. My heart hammered in my chest as the woman gazed back at me.

Over the past week people I had recoiled from my gaze but this girl held it, her crystal eye boring into mine as my heart fluttered. I frowned, who was this girl? She suddenly turned from my gaze and clearing her throat.

The woman had honey coloured hair almost gold and was bleached with highlights from the sun. Her face was heart-shaped and her cheek bones high with natural flush to them. She was naturally tanned and her hair had a natural wavy to it as it cascaded down her back. Her lips were dusty pink and plump as my gaze fall on them.

“You’re awake,” a voice broke me from my staring match as my head snapped to the direction of the voice. Two girls stood in the door way, one was Cinder.

“Yeah,” my voice came out rougher than I had expected.  The girl handed me a glass of water as she brushed her hair over to her left, exposing her long thin neck to me. “Thank you,” I sipped throwing a grateful smile towards her.

“It’s okay,” she almost whispered. I frowned again as I turned back to Cinder.

“How are you feeling?” I studied her as she slowly sat next to me, her friend leaned against the wall frowning.  What was her problem?