Chapter 9

I walk into the kitchen and see everyone talking. Avery notices me first and comes over to give me a hug.

"I haven't seen you in forever." She says.

"I know, it's been way too long."

"Lauren came in here and showed me her hair and makeup. She was so happy." Avery tells me.

"She's so cute."

"Awe well thank you. Hopefully this one will be as well." She places her hand on her stomach and smiles.

"Oh my gosh! You're pregnant. Congratulations Avery." I give her another hug with a smile on my face.

"Thank you. We've been thinking of a second one and well here we are. Can you please not tell Reece? He doesn't know yet."

"Of course, my mouth is zipped."

"Thank you Elena you're the best." She tells me.

"So dinner?" Jack says to everyone making us laugh.

"Always has food on the mind." Avery says.

"Wherever you guys want to go." Reece says.

We all make a decision on where we want to eat. We pile into our vehicles and make the drive to our destination.

"So did you know your brother and Avery were coming?" I ask Reece in the car.

"I actually talked to him last week and he said he was stopping by some time."

I nod my eyes drifting to the window. The sun is just beginning to set and it's a beautiful view. It would be a beautiful picture.

I've always liked looking at photography. It takes you to another world, a world where you can escape everything. I was never good at taking the photos, just looking.

We reach the restaurant first, but the other aren't far from us. We all head inside and take our seats. I sit in the middle of Reece and Lauren while Jack and Avery are across from us.

Jack and Avery catch us up on their lives. Avery works as a nurse and as for Jack he works as an accountant.

We catch them up a little bit before the waitress brings out our meals. Reece asks for a couple of beers and some wine.

The waitress brings out two beers for the guys and four glasses for all of us.

"Can I have some?" Lauren asks.

"In sixteen years sweetheart." Avery says.

"That's too long." She shakes her head and stabs her macaroni and cheese.

I pour myself some wine before cutting into my chicken.

Reece picks up the bottle and pours himself some. Jack shakes his head and he hovers above Avery's glass.

"None for me." She shakes her head.

"Do you not like this kind? I can order a different one."

"No I can't have wine or... any alcohol." She tells Reece.

"Diet?" He asks.

Men are clueless. Or at least Reece is.

"Pregnant."

I can't read his emotion. Shocked? Stunned? Embarrassed?

He looks over at me and I smile at him.

He clears his throat before speaking. "Congrats, to both of you."

They both smile at him. We all finish our dinner before it gets too cold. We pay the bills and head back to our cars.

"Are you guys staying here?" I ask Avery.

"Yeah Reece said it's okay if we use the guest room."

"Of course, I'm glad you guys are staying here I mean we have the room. It feels lonely at times." I laugh lightly.

"Yeah it feels like that back at our house. I told Lauren she can sleep on the couch."

"Are you sure? We have another empty room."

"She'll tear it up. The couch is fine Elena. I mean you guys are nice enough to let us stay here."

"You're family. We'd do anything for you guys," I inform her.

"We'd do anything for Reece and you."

I show her the guest room and leave them to get settled. I head to our bedroom and find Reece sitting at the end of the bed, his head in hands.

He looks up when I walk in.

"Hey," I say.

"Did you know she was pregnant?" He asks.

"She told me earlier in the kitchen. She said not to tell you."

He nods running a hand though his hair.

"What's making you stressed?" I sit next to him.

He turns his head locking his eyes with mine.

"My family." He sighs.

"My mom called me yesterday. She told me that dad had contacted her. That piece of nothing. He wanted to meet up with her and see how's she's doing." He looks down at the ground.

"Reece...I'm sorry."

"She hasn't told me anymore so maybe he left her alone."

I don't know what to say, so I don't say anything.

His father wasn't really a father to Reece or Jack growing up. He was never around and he cheated on Janelle multiple times. He finally left before Reece got into high school. Reece never cared to have a relationship with his father. He's held in so much anger because of that man.

It needs to come to an end.

Thanks for reading!
Vote and comment! :)