Chapter Seventeen || The End - Part Two

WILL'S POV : : :

Who would have thought that a mall would become so creepy at night. I'll admit, I didn't expect to spend New Year's crawling through the ventilation system in a mall at 1am in the morning, but I was always taught to expect the unexpected.

And that's what happened. The unexpected.

"Did you hear that?" Finlay asks in a frantic hushed tone, as he stops crawling for a moment.

"Hear what?" I ask, but my question is answered almost immediately when a loud, high pitched groaning sounds from the metal vent we're inside.

"Move. Move!" Sarah shouts as the noise gets louder and more dangerous sounding.

Finlay, who is leading us through the vents, starts crawling quickly, but not quick enough. The metal vent below me buckles before it completely breaks in two. I fall through the hole and land on the hard ground. Looking up, I realise I'm the only one that fell through, Finlay and Sarah must still be inside the vents.

Sarah's head peeks through the hole. "Are you alright?" she asks and I nod.

"Yes, but I think it's best if I don't go back up there."

"Okay, we'll come down there with you." Finlay says and both him and Sarah jump down from the vents.

"Where are we? It's so dark in here." Sarah asks and I shrug.

Suddenly there's a clatter and Finlay lets out a girly scream as he seemingly falls to the ground with whatever he's knocked over.

"I think we're in a...uh...clothes shop." Finlay whispers as more clattering sounds through the shop when he stands up.

My eyes start to adjust to the darkness and I see that Finlay's correct, we are in a very girly looking shop.

"Victoria's Secret." I vaguely hear Sarah mutter.

"We should get out of here before we break or knock over anything else." Finlay takes charge and walks towards the door of the shop.

"Wait, how are we going to get out? The door is probably locked and alarmed." Sarah remarks, but I'm already one step ahead of her.

"There's a small fuse box over in this corner, if I blow the fuse, the alarm system will go off."

"Wouldn't that risk cutting off the whole building's electricity?" Finlay questions.

"Yes, but it's a risk we need to take." I exhale and open the fuse box, blinking red lights staring back at me.

"Risk it for the biscuit." Sarah remarks very unhelpfully from behind me, Finlay chuckles quietly. I roll my eyes and crack a small smile.

I pull at a red wire, hoping that it'll break, and when it does, the red blinking lights all go out.

"Try the door."

Finlay cautiously approaches the door and tries the handle, it's locked, so he pushes into it with his shoulder until the hinge breaks.

We all quietly investigate the dark and vast foyer of the mall. The fountain is a few metres away from us, so we make our way over.

Lilly isn't there.

"Where's Lilly?" Sarah voices my thoughts.

"I don't know, she probably went outside to the car like we told her to if we were late, or..." Finlay says with a hint of uncertainty.